Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,788 Posts
Does anyone know how I can find the eye to eye shock length for this bad boy? I have a cracked frame that I'd be looking to switch components on... could go crash replacement, but I love this bike's geo.
185x55 Trunnion for the 29er, not sure if it's the same for 27.5?

I zoomed in on the picture of the specs.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
The only review I've seen so far that listed a weight was Bikerumor:
"The Process 134 CR 29 I rode weighs in at 31.14lbs (with tubes, without pedals)."
In the article, the author said said he was on a Med. frame.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,788 Posts
The only review I've seen so far that listed a weight was Bikerumor:
"The Process 134 CR 29 I rode weighs in at 31.14lbs (with tubes, without pedals)."
In the article, the author said said he was on a Med. frame.
Why does that matter at all?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Well, they finally did it and it's even on their site too!

What I like:
Best looking frame design to date
66* HTA /76 STA
Improved leverage curves
coil compatible
All carbon
Improved chainstay angle and guard
29 & 27.5 options
Closer to spirit of 111
Frame only options

What I don't care for

CR/DL colorway
Played conservative and stuck with 51mm fork
No 27.5 carbon
No 29 AL frame only options
Shorter TTL than 153
1" higher standover than 153
$3300 for a kona frame
Carbon complete bike prices

Bottom line:

Seems to me like they may have a potential winner on their hands with this one. Looks better than any carbon frame iv'e seen from them. Thank f*ck they finally got their rocker design under control in not only appearance, but also pedaling efficiency. I'm also curious to see how the smaller carbon chainstays hold up to some abuse.The biggest issue I see for them is pricepoint and lack of stoke at LBS. They're swimming in a very big pond these days, and there are a lot of competitive bikes in this category. They have a habit of pricing all their stuff high then it ends up on the clearance rack for 25-40% off. It'd be nice if they'd lower MSRP 10-15% off to begin with. In the end, how many people want a 32lb single pivot trailbike for $5-6K? Time will tell.

There were two scenarios that I was considering buying 134s.

Replace my hei hei 29c with CR/DL frame. Price and color kills that for me and for $3300 i can get a boutique frame.

Replace my wifes hei hei 29c with a carbon 134 27.5 frame and build as a mullet bike. A carbon 27.5 frame is not offered.

Seems that kona is leaving some of us with no option other than to go elsewhere to get what we want. Hopefully they're ticking enough boxes to keep the general masses happy with this one.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,788 Posts
Do bike weights not matter any more?
Are you racing XC at a high, high level on this bike? No? Then the weight doesn't matter much.

Fun matters though, and this thing looks pretty fun. Numbers on a scale mean nothing to me for a trailbike. It's a solid build kit. If you want to make it better build some good wheels. Don't bother weighing it when you're done, Just go ride it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are you racing XC at a high, high level on this bike? No? Then the weight doesn't matter much.

Fun matters though, and this thing looks pretty fun. Numbers on a scale mean nothing to me for a trailbike. It's a solid build kit. If you want to make it better build some good wheels. Don't bother weighing it when you're done, Just go ride it.
I can definitely appreciate your sentiment about the fun factor being more important than the scale but I believe you're in a very small minority when insisting that the scale weight means nothing.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,788 Posts
Kona's have never been weight weenie race bikes, at least the MTB stuff. They definitely prioritize fun and durability, as do I.

Not everyone wants an ultra light weight, fragile bike. This is a trail bike that's meant to be ridden hard on rough trails and not break. If that means it's 473 grams heavier than next bike over, it's not going to A. change my riding experience in any measurable way, B. Cause me to win or loose the climb to the top, or C. stop me from buying it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Got my L 2016 111 to 29.3LBS with DMR vaults. Took a lot of carbon and $

My L 2018 hei hei with same carbon parts from the 111 and a DHF is 27.7lbs

Wife's hei hei 29 is 26.8 with basic aeffect crank, saint derailleur, SID, and arch MK3

IMHO my wife will benefit from reduced weight more than I will, particularly with rotating mass. She weighs 115#, has less muscle mass, and produces way less wattage.

For most buyers, It'll come down to accessibility and price more than weight

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,788 Posts
Got my L 2016 111 to 29.3LBS with DMR vaults. Took a lot of carbon and $

My L 2018 hei hei with same carbon parts from the 111 and a DHF is 27.7lbs

Wife's hei hei 29 is 26.8 with basic aeffect crank, saint derailleur, SID, and arch MK3

IMHO my wife will benefit from reduced weight more than I will, particularly with rotating mass. She weighs 115#, has less muscle mass, and produces way less wattage.

For most buyers, It'll come down to accessibility and price more than weight
Fascinating. In what way is this information relevant to this thread?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Fascinating. In what way is this information relevant to this thread?
salty

You two were bickering about weight. I offered some information that actually supported some of you assertions. Can you handle that?

I also concisely posted my thoughts on the 134. All you've been focused on in this thread is arguing. How is that relevant?

Nobody is trying to stop you from buying anything. Go do it and get back to us

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,788 Posts
I also concisely posted my thoughts on the 134. All you've been focused on in this thread is arguing. How is that relevant?
Maybe you missed the part where I shared information about shock sizing? I'm not going to bother commenting on your thoughts about anything Kona as everything you say has negative undertones. I don't know when or how but clearly you've been scared.

Nobody is trying to stop you from buying anything. Go do it and get back to us
Actually I ordered something today. It will be here in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Maybe you missed the part where I shared information about shock sizing? I'm not going to bother commenting on your thoughts about anything Kona as everything you say has negative undertones. I don't know when or how but clearly you've been scared.

Ohh,shock length! Forgive me for not acknowledging your far reaching experience in kona full suspension bikes.

If i were to post how every decision kona made was great, would you be piping up then? It's an open forum and i'll post my thoughts on what direction kona is going. I've bought enough of them to do so. Oh, and it's scarred, not "scared".

Good! Now "just go ride it".

·
Registered
409 Posts
I disagree that weight doesn’t matter. If I can save a couple of pounds while not diminishing the fun factor I’ll take it. I climb a lot and it is funner not pedaling a hog. And the more vertical I can climb the more fun downhills I get

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.