Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are some other good All Mountain bikes. I hate the fact that I didn't look at this forum or think about the fact that I was really interested in all mountain (rather than XC) before I went and bought my GF Marlin Disc. Now trying to sell it (bought for nearly 750 with tax and rode twice, hoping to get at least 650 for it maybe).

But once I sell it, I need another bike... and am not spending more than I get from the Marlin.

So, I guess I have to estimate the amount I get from Marlin.

I'm assuming I can get over 500, but will be under 700 (is that range safe for a basically brand new bike?

Right now the Jamis Komodo 1.0 seems like the best bet, but if someone could give me other options, that'd be great. I'm fairly light, only 130-135 pounds, so the bike can be on the lighter side of things.

I'll mainly want to have it be for DH/XC.

And speaking of that, last thing I'll ask is if you think my Marlin can handle All-Mountain and DH type of riding. I was told it couldn't because of it's light frame that, even though I don't way much, could break (as could components). That and the geometry isn't meant for DH either. People on that forum told me if I was serious about continuing to do DH terrain (small drops, rock gardens, roots, logs, and so on), I should think about getting a more durable hardtail.

So as of now, for my price range, the Komodo seems like the best bet. But I'm looking for more suggestions.

Thanks.

edit*

Here is a video of stuff I'd like to build up to. I'm not interested in much more than this in regards to DH. Just stuff like the rock/root gardens the guy goes through and those small, flowing jumps would be fun.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could do that, but will the components of my Marlin be good to go? Though, if they break, then the new frame can be upgraded with better components I suppose.

Also, regarding brands:

What about GF, Scott and Marin?

Because the brand I bought my bike from has those brands available, so maybe can go through him to do a bike swap type thing.

I know GF has the Mullet and Opie, how are those?

And not sure about what Scott and Marin offers.

· ride hard take risks
25,256 Posts
jay687 said:
I could do that, but will the components of my Marlin be good to go? Though, if they break, then the new frame can be upgraded with better components I suppose.
What size is your seat post the Atlas is a 31.6mm :devil:

jay687 said:
Also, regarding brands:

What about GF, Scott and Marin?

Because the brand I bought my bike from has those brands available, so maybe can go through him to do a bike swap type thing.

I know GF has the Mullet and Opie, how are those?

And not sure about what Scott and Marin offers.
Tag your it go check your other post. :D

· Registered
1,148 Posts
danyiluska said:
The Comodo is very nice.
Also check out:
Banshee-Scirocco, Commencal-Absolute, SantaCruz-Chameleon,
IronHorse-Yakuza Chimpira/Bukato, Norco-Sasquatch and more....
All good suggestions.

What size frame do you need. You can get a Komodo complete build on jenson usa for a few hundred more than the frame itself would cost. I did that, and I feel the build was good enough that it was worth the price itself, like getting a the frame and fork free. I have been using it and replacing things as they broke. I took it to moab and it did great!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.