Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'll start you off with a little back-story. I'm an intermediate level rider who lives in FL. I moved from Ft. Lauderdale where everything is kind of flat but moved a little north where there is some decent elevation change a and a new trail going up. I used to ride a Diamondback Sorrento (learned a lot on that bike) but it was recently stolen right out of my garage :madmax: . My birthday is coming up this weekend and I'm thinking about getting myself something nice. Seeing as I no longer have a bike it was an easy decision to make.

Now, here is where I'm indecisive at the moment seeing as I don't know a whole lot about either of these bikes. I was looking through Jenson and they have a Jamis Komodo and a Jamis Dakar XC both for sale. I ride mostly XC with some FR thrown in the mix (jumps, drops, etc) and wanted something that could hold up to the abuse. I love the look of both bikes, Komodo a little more than the Dakar, but I've always wanted a FS bike. The thing is, the Dakar is almost $200 more than the Komodo and I would rather not pay extra for a bike that has more than I honestly need. I know these bikes aren't in the same league per se, but I'd love to hear your experiences with either one and any opinion you could give would be excellent. Also, what would you guys say would be a good frame size for me? Jenson currently only has the Komodo in 14" or 16.5" sizes. My DB was an 18 I believe but the Komodo has a much different frame design and looks like they run small. I'm about 6'0" and ~155-160lbs.

Thanks in advance and am anxious to see what you guys have to say :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have had several Dakar Sports (same as Dakar XC), great bike for XC, probably not so good strenght-wise for freeride. It's a true stretched out XC bike. Even though your are light, I doubt it would last long pounding down big hits.

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input. After hours of research I think I've come to the same conclusion.

Now I'm just torn on frame size. They only have 14" and 16.5" in stock and going off of there guide I'm right on the edge of 16.5 and 18.5. What do you guys think? I'm not a heavy person so I think the 16.5 might be juuuust right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was looking at the jensonusa website and considering the same thing. First, I'm not sure if the full sus will be too much of a pain when riding around because I know I'll end up using it on streets. However, I think the fork on the dakar is much better and I might rather pay the money upfront for a better bike then deal with whatever fork (rst launch I think) is on the komodo. I've read some bad reviews of it but I'm not sure if that's only for riders who are really pushing it to its limit which, at least for a little while, I probably won't do.

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see what you're getting at. I'm just thinking that if I went FS I wouldn't want it in a XC style frame because I like to hit jumps and drops and such as well as regular trail riding. I think the Dakar is more of a strictly-XC bike and I would like something a little more versatile. I can see the Komodo pedaling nicely, staying solid on the jumps and drop, and still be able to get beat up on the occasional urban ride. Plus, I'm thinking with the $200 I'd save over the Dakar I could pick up a nice used PIKE or other more-capable fork.

·
Registered
182 Posts
@[db]Will - I'm 5'9" and have the 16.5 Komodo. I love the bike. It's a bit heavy for all day XC, but it's still what I use and I think I get a better workout because of it. That being said, the cockpit is still pretty tight, and I have short legs. On steep climbs my knees can get pretty close to the shifters. At 6', I think you might find that you'll need to swap out the stem for something a little longer.

@gc075: I've upgraded a lot of my components. Most notably the fork. The Launch is not a very good fork, but I rode the hell out of it for a season before scraping together some cash and swapping it out for a Pike. It's been said elsewhere in the Jamis forum, but the Pike and Komodo were made for each other. Don't know much about the Dakar, but I love the Komodo and out of all my bikes, I use it the most.

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input 7PointMe! That's just the type of info I was looking to get with this thread. I'm pretty lanky so I understand the need for a longer stem. You think that would throw the geometry out of whack and change the feel of the bike? What else would you say could be improved on the bike.

Oh, and as for the Dakar, I've been reading some stories about the rear triangle snapping during not-so-hard riding. Just a little more food for thought.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not sure what that will do for the feel of the bike. The stem it comes with is pretty short. I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that steering gets better as the bar moves closer to the centerline of the wheel. Another thing that might help you out on the cockpit space is a seatpost that leans back.

When I got the bike I looked first at the grips and pedals for upgrade. I also found the bar a little too narrow for my riding style so upgraded that. As you ride you may find that you want to upgrade the wheels, maybe get some larger rotors for stopping power. If you want to add a chain tensioner, the perfect one to get is a blackspire stinger. I think the tabs on the bike are ISCG 03.

Keep us posted on what you do, regarding the bike decision.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Just to add to my original post, the Dakar is capable of jumps; I'm 240 and have ridden several since 2004 (I have had a few from a Jenson frame sale). My friends who bought them from me use them as trail bikes today. They are reasonably tough, but NOT a freeride bike. If you are riding street, trails and moderate jumps, no issues. The triangles have been beefed up so the newer ones are better. I have not broken any of mine.

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hm... now you have me thinking a little bit. I was about sold on the Komodo until I read your most recent post. I still think that the Dakar, even though it is a very nice bike, might be a little too much for me in Florida. I like to beat the crap out of my bikes so I don't want to risk breaking anything on a new bike that I bought just because it is FS. I don't do a whole lot of jumps and drops but when I do I'd like to know that I won't have any issues once I hit the ground. Plus, Santos is quite close and I know they have some decent sized jumps and drops that I may like to partake in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I previously owned a Diamondback Sorrento (which I beat the hell out of since day one and runs fine today with stock components) to a Jamis Dakar XCR Comp. Although this model is a little bit different from the one you want, I found it to be a great upgrade. I noticed off the bat the XCR Comp was a little bit heavier and bigger, even tho the Sorrento was 18.5" frame vs the XCR Comp being 17.5". Since you were looking at the XC, my guess is it would feel a little bit heavier than the Comp I picked up. The single biggest difference I have noticed is the fork and rear suspension. They have made my ride much better and my fast downhill runs with little jumps feels smooth. I've rode it pretty well so far and havent had any issues. Overall with either decision, I think you will be happy with Jamis. I know I am.

·
Curb Jumper
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha! A fellow Sorrento rider :D You made some valid points but the XCR but that one is a little outside of my budget. I just placed an order for an '09 Komodo which should be here by Saturday. The Sorrento was an amazing bike for what it was. I took it off drops and dirt-jumps and still pedaled up climbs with ease. It was a great all-around bike and I wish I still had it. It would be a back-up bike for my gal to ride but there were a bunch of memories with that bike. I wouldn't be riding today if it wasn't for the Sorrento getting me on the saddle and through trails all over SFL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts