Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some advise on hub\spoke\rim selection for my project- making my 2002 koko rise again. So far, I have replace the entire drive train with sram X9 f/r derailleurs, PG-990 cassette, truvativ stylo 3.3 cranks/GXP team gigapipe BB, and 991 hollow link chain. Cockpit is on a chris king headset, FSA 99-OS stem and FSA XC carbon riser bar, with formula oro puro brakes, levers and lines, and 2008 X0 thumb shifters. Seatpost and saddle is being upgraded to Thomson masterpiece and Yeti Ti saddle. The only weak link remaining is the current disc rims and hubs which are WTB dual duty and Shimano hubs. I would like to build a set of wheels but find a decent balance of price and quality. While it would appear my build is weight weenie oriented, that was not the goal, and as such, I am less concerned about weight of the wheels (within reason) and more about their ability 2 take some NorCal abuse. TIA

·
Registered
670 Posts
get the nicest hubs you can afford laced to mavic xm819's, dt comp spokes, brass nipples.

crossmax are nice wheels and all, but "system" wheelsets aren't worth the extra $. You can get something custom built that's more durable for less $.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prebuilt Factory Sets

That was my worry and reason for going with a build my own setup. however, I know some people like the 2008 FSA XC-500T wheelset. Has anyone ridden those. I also saw some decent DT hub builds with Salsa tubeless rims and DT spokes that looked ok. My hub selection for a build up would be either Chris Kings (the noise doesn't bother me) or maybe a hadley offering, but it seems they are a bit beefy for XC riding. Rims seem to be where I have the most questions. I would like to go tubeless and then its all ????s from there. :confused:

·
Registered
670 Posts
I just got a set of Hadley + xm819. Haven't ridden them yet (still waiting on new brakes), but they look alright.
72 points of engagement, should be bombproof.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
what about an XR4.2D? relatively light and robust ... have used i so far on highly technical trails for about 1 year and still true.

Text Red White Bicycle part Line

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Ditto

MichauxYeti said:
Stans ZTR 355 rims on DT hubs with 14/15 spokes laced 3X. Lightweight, reliable, and affordable.
Easiest way to go tubeless, lighter than everything else, and bomproof. My training wheels are 355's with supercomps and weigh 1525 grams. can't beat 'em....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts