Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Caveman
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm going to be spending some time on Kodiak Island the 2nd week of August after doing some volunteer work. I'm debating bringing my bike or not. How accessable is the good riding near town? Its probably just going to be me and a backpack so any other ideas on the nearby area (camping, hiking, eating) would be helpfull. I was thinking of bringing my packraft too.
Thanks,
Eric

·
Diaskeuast
575 Posts
Hmm ...

Never used it, but I have a guidebook for mountain biking on Kodiak. From looking through it, there seems to be a fair selection of rides. You're welcome to borrow it if we can arrange to hand off the book. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
definitely take bike

There are some great rides that you can do straight from town, and a few just a few miles out of town, so you should definitely bring the bike. The book Tim's talking about is "Riding the Rock," which I also have a copy of if you want to borrow. It's done by the local guys who own the bike shop 58 Degrees North. They still rent bikes, but when I was there, I borrowed one of the bike shop employee's bikes because the rentals were geared more toward sightseers. Have fun -- it's an awesome place to ride. :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Tscheezy

Hi E / Bear Bait !
I would try to round up tscheezy, he lives and bikes in Kodiak, I'm sure he or Barney would help you out. I think he is on the AK. Peninsula doing field work, however, he just recently posted some photos of himself and his Pugsly on the Bering Coast so he probably visits this forum regularly.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Yup, I'm out west for the summer, otherwise I would be happy to show you around. The rides in the guide (I wrote it) cover the more obvious stuff, but of course there are some "locals only" trails too I would love to show you if I were in town. ;) Barny may be back in town by the time of your arrival (she is setnetting on the west side of Kodiak until August 12 or 13). She knows all the stuff pretty well. If Melissarides is who I think it is ( :) ), she also knows her way around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts