Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if WTB still plans to release the Kodiak tire, or if it has essentially lost its slot to the Dissent? I liked the beefy look of the Kodiak and actually would prefer what appeared to be a less 'burly' casing than the Dissent.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
MTBDad said:
Does anyone know if WTB still plans to release the Kodiak tire, or if it has essentially lost its slot to the Dissent? I liked the beefy look of the Kodiak and actually would prefer what appeared to be a less 'burly' casing than the Dissent.
Niner will be marketing the Kodiak and have not changed their plans for the tire. When I spoke with Chris and Steve at interbike, Steve was very enthusiastic about the Kodiak and promised me samples as soon as they arrive--hopefully soon.

The sample Dissents seem to have a pretty supple casing which combined with the Inner Peace sidewall reinforcement and beefy tread has a nice combo of ride quality, toughness and weight. I would expect the Kodiak casing to be similar with the difference being how it works with the tread design. The Kodiak tread is designed to close on itself under extreme casing compression to increase flat resistance. I look forward to seeing how it works on the trail.

The weight in both of these models is in the tread. Rubber is heavy and both use lots of it.
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
15,777 Posts
MTBDad said:
Does anyone know if WTB still plans to release the Kodiak tire, or if it has essentially lost its slot to the Dissent? I liked the beefy look of the Kodiak and actually would prefer what appeared to be a less 'burly' casing than the Dissent.
I'm not a WTB spokewoman, so take this as hearsay and not fact.

Pretty sure they're both in production, with the Kodiak slated to arrive soonest.

Casing tech on both is pretty similar, but because of the increased amount of rubber in the tread on the Kodiak, the Kodiak is likely to be as much as ~100g heavier.

MC
 

·
Underskilled
Joined
·
4,573 Posts
Niner told me before inter that they have had a rolling 'be ready in two weeks' for months.
WTB are messing them around.

WTB Europe said neither will be available retail until 2011.
They are being sent to manufacturers march 2010.
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
Dissents and Kodiaks are now being ridden here. Very different tires from each other.

I won't say much yet here but if folks are grousing about the measurements on Dissents they really won't like the measurements I'm getting on the Kodiak.

More to come............
 

Attachments

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,081 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Dissents and Kodiaks are now being ridden here. Very different tires from each other.

I won't say much yet here but if folks are grousing about the measurements on Dissents they really won't like the measurements I'm getting on the Kodiak.

More to come............

Meh...

How disappointed?



Should I be holding out for the Dissent? I'm looking for the sub 15PSI tubeless rigid wonder tire for winter (as a point of reference).
 

·
You know, for kids
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Dissents and Kodiaks are now being ridden here. Very different tires from each other.

I won't say much yet here but if folks are grousing about the measurements on Dissents they really won't like the measurements I'm getting on the Kodiak.

More to come............

I'm surprised to see that they fit in a Reba considering the tight fit of a Racing Ralph 2.4 with shallow knobs on my Reba. Tire rub?
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
madcap said:
I'm surprised to see that they fit in a Reba considering the tight fit of a Racing Ralph 2.4 with shallow knobs on my Reba. Tire rub?
Slight tire rub with the Dissent. None with the Kodiak.

(That's a hint in terms of the Kodiak, by the way)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts
Kodiak fits in a Reba nice, I'm hoped to of had a Bonty FR3 in my hands already to answer the question of does that fit in a reba and is it really a 2.35 volume wise. ( I class the stout 2.3 as a 2.2 )
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
teamdicky said:
Thanks.

I'm closer to having a Kodiak in my hands than the Dissent at the moment.
Kinda figured that.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at the Kodiak. It will do the 15psi thing really well. It would work quite nicely for your needs, I think. But be advised, for about another 400-500 grams you may as well put your Fox Fjork on yer rig. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts
Huge FAT tyre with 29" + Rigid should make for a interesting ride.

Yes it won't be as good at drops of any kinda, you'll get some tyre travel, BUT you get a much more instant response from a soft huge tyre than a fork for general wheels on the ground trail objects.


Prefer to have 100-120mm of travel aswell, but hey!!
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,081 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Kinda figured that.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at the Kodiak. It will do the 15psi thing really well. It would work quite nicely for your needs, I think. But be advised, for about another 400-500 grams you may as well put your Fox Fjork on yer rig. ;)
Doesn't weigh near as much as the 1800+ gram Gazzy on a Singletrack rim with a tube I ran in the 26" days. It's the winter, so I could give a rat's butt what it weighs.

BTW: The fjork got bjoring. It's already off.
 

·
is buachail foighneach me
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
TD, why not go for the 26 x 3" tires for winter? They're uber heavy, will probably fit fine, ride like a dream(downhill), don't climb too poorly, float with awesomeness on frost heave, mud and snow, and make your bike look more monster truck than tractor. Climbing is certainly slower, but good enough.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top