Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding a Giant Reign SX which I like for small to moderate sized jumps, but on the faster high speed jumps and steep technical terrain, to me its seems sketchy and uncomfortable. I live in Washington and ride Galbraith ( evo, unemployment line, mullet etc) duthie hill, tokul east and sometimes whistler. I keep going back and forth between the Banshee and the Knolly, but am leaning more towards the Knolly. My only concern with the Knolly is that it is going to be similar to the Giant, more of an all mountain bike. Which bike is a better freeride bike? Which bike is more comfortable in the air? Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
One other thought

You may want to consider a used Turner Highline. I have one and they are beyond bomber. I love to jump it and actually prefer it to my dirt jumper. It feels really relaxed and natural in the air. Additionally, it was designed for the types of trails you are describing and just rails on them. You could probably get one pretty cheap and Turner is so good about warranty, I wouldn't be concerned buying a used frame.
Just my $0.02.

·
Rubberneck Goose
105 Posts
One vote for Knolly

I am biased, as I ride a Knolly delirium. I also have no ride time on the Banshee, so that puts my perspective in context.

The great thing about the delirium is the fact that it is very capable and rides like a dream. Head angle is adjustable, you can use an angle set if you want to slack out your head angle even more. You can put anything from a six inch fork up to a fox 40 on it and you will still be able to peddle it up hill (with minor difficulty).

I have ridden the trails you ride frequently and think it would be a perfect fit. If you have any specific questions re the Knolly let me know and I'll try to answer them.

Good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The knolly looks awesome, I've always wanted to try one. I did try a buddies scythe for a short period and was surprised by how well it pedaled for a 7+ inch bike. I'd go scythe and with the money saved put it towards a good fork, either a totem or a nice dual crown. My buddy rides his bike very agressively and swears by it. Only thing I don't like about the scythe is the higher bottom bracket though I hear if you short shock it you can get it lower. I still wanna try a delirium, maybe if I rode one it would change my opinion.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
both awesomes, tough call.

The banshee is more FR then than the knolly, that is clear. but the knolly is certainly capable. If i was riding places as you described then i'd go with the banshee, especially if you're spending time in the Garbo zone at whistler. The Scythe is cheaper too.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I also am biased as I ride a Delirium and I have never tried the Scythe. I can tell the you the Delirium is a freeride bike that pedals like an AM bike. I take it to the lifts all the time and thing is burly. I run it with a CCDB and a Fox180 upfront and it flies. It's a great jumper that installs confidence in you. I take it down the DH trails as well and while it's not ideal on those trails I have no problem getting through them with a little extra work. I highly recommend the Delirium for your type of riding.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
monstertiki said:
The knolly looks awesome, I've always wanted to try one. I did try a buddies scythe for a short period and was surprised by how well it pedaled for a 7+ inch bike. I'd go scythe and with the money saved put it towards a good fork, either a totem or a nice dual crown. My buddy rides his bike very agressively and swears by it. Only thing I don't like about the scythe is the higher bottom bracket though I hear if you short shock it you can get it lower. I still wanna try a delirium, maybe if I rode one it would change my opinion.
The shop that I would be buying the bike has both the Scythe and the Delirium, with the Delirium only being 100 dollars more than the Scythe. As for a fork I will either get a 180mm Fox Van, or the Totem... Thanks for the replys!

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
$100 more go for the Knolly. The Knolly bearings have been flawless whereas the Banshee stuff has some additional maintenance requirement. Both shops have great CS, but even being in the US I've not had to wait more than two weeks for anything from the Knolly guys. I am biased as I have a Vtach and until recently a delirium T, my wife has a Delirium T as well and I had an endo around for a few years. You can't go wrong with Knolly.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The Banshee Scythe is marketed as an almost 0-maintainance bike. I've owned one for more than a year with no maintainance needed for the frame. The Banshee is VERY stable but that's also a marketing way of saying that it's not as playful as other bikes.

I don't think either of these two bikes will give you the improvement you are looking for to be honest. It sounds like you want an Uzzi or even DH bike. I've never tried a knolly but I do believe they are amazing bikes, I just don't think you will find much improvement over the reign x in terms of stability. You're probably going to want something slacker and longer.

Have you considered upgrading the shock on the reign x instead? or buying a better fork? Or even getting an angleset for it. If I were in your shoes I'd try these first.

·
brake later, pedal sooner
813 Posts
I ride a Scythe and have no complaints about it being super stiff, agile, bombproof, progressive, fast, lively, or pretty much anything at all.

I use it as a freeride bike - 30-40ft gaps, 15-20ft drops, hard trail riding, lots of jumps, etc.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Delirium is way more bike then your Reign

I think the Reign X is more of an all mountain bike where the Delirium is a FR bike that is light enough to do all mountain if you build it that way, I dont think you could build up the Reign X to be as capable as a FR build Delirium. I'm a bit confused that the Knolly is only $100 more then the Scythe. Are you sure its not an older Delirium T? Just doing a quick internet check and the Deliriums are going for about $2600 for a frame w/ RC4 and the Scythes are $1700. Either the dealer is ripping you off on the Scythe or giving a hell of a deal on the Delirium. I've owned a Delirium T for the last two years and am swithching to a Delirium this year, I use it for full FR built up with Totem DH. I think the suspension design of the Knolly is far superior to that of the Scythe. The Scythe is a faux bar that will firm up under braking while the Knolly suspension is just butter. That alone would make up my mind.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Rubberneck Goose said:
I am biased, as I ride a Knolly delirium. I also have no ride time on the Banshee, so that puts my perspective in context.

The great thing about the delirium is the fact that it is very capable and rides like a dream. Head angle is adjustable, you can use an angle set if you want to slack out your head angle even more. You can put anything from a six inch fork up to a fox 40 on it and you will still be able to peddle it up hill (with minor difficulty).

Good luck with the decision.
I am biased, as I have ridden a Banshee Scythe. I also have no ride time on the Knolly, so that puts my perspective in context.

The great thing about the Scythe is the fact that it is very capable and rides like a dream. Head angle is adjustable, you can use an angle set if you want to slack out your head angle even more. You can put anything from a six inch fork up to a fox 40 on it and you will still be able to peddle it up hill (with minor difficulty).

Good luck with the decision. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,092 Posts
I rode both bikes at I-bike a couple years ago. My ride on the Banshee was forgetable.... the Knolly blew me away. So much so, that I bought the demo and am still loving it. If you can get a Knolly for only $100 more than a Banshee..... BUY IT!

·
Registered
427 Posts
KRob said:
I rode both bikes at I-bike a couple years ago. My ride on the Banshee was forgetable.... the Knolly blew me away. So much so, that I bought the demo and am still loving it. If you can get a Knolly for only $100 more than a Banshee..... BUY IT!
and ill bet you others had the opposite experience too.

it all comes down to set up, equipment and sizing :)

im not saying one is better then the other, but i guarantee that any bike with the wrong spring, vs a different one with the correct one, will feel worlds apart if your caning it :)

OP: if possible try both ?? sounds like you have the possibility??

both brands put out qualit rides, and both models are damn good.

Scythes tend to be very underrated just because banshee also have the Legend in their line up, it is however when set up properly one of the best do it all big stuff rides around.

Delerium, bit more racey from what ive heard, never had the chance to try one but if its anything like their podium, then its damn good too :)

tough choice, and honestly, i doubt youll regret getting either.

As always follow the golden rule : try before you buy :D

·
Registered
884 Posts
DeanH said:
and ill bet you others had the opposite experience too.

it all comes down to set up, equipment and sizing :)

im not saying one is better then the other, but i guarantee that any bike with the wrong spring, vs a different one with the correct one, will feel worlds apart if your caning it :)

OP: if possible try both ?? sounds like you have the possibility??

both brands put out qualit rides, and both models are damn good.

Scythes tend to be very underrated just because banshee also have the Legend in their line up, it is however when set up properly one of the best do it all big stuff rides around.

Delerium, bit more racey from what ive heard, never had the chance to try one but if its anything like their podium, then its damn good too :)

tough choice, and honestly, i doubt youll regret getting either.

As always follow the golden rule : try before you buy :D
Scythe rider here and I'll say the scythe is good bike, but it's not a great bike. It took me a year to get mostly comfortable on it. I think the design is kind of dated and the adjustability doesn't yeild very many exciting options. I find the bike to ride too heavy. The chainstay is too long. The cockpit is too short. The pivot seems too low. and the head angle across the board of its adjustability wise is a degree too steep and bottom bracket is a bit too high. Not saying it's a bad bike but there is just potential for more. This is all based on my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I race this bike so I may be a bit biased against "freeride" geometry but the times are a changing, and more and more people and coming to the consensus that "race geometry" just rides better.

I'd say go for the delirium having never tried the delirium. Reviews for it have been just about unanimously stellar. They are in the same niche really, just one with less travel than the other.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the responses. You definitely anwswered my question and we'll probably go with the Knolly. I think it will be a better for the riding that I do. And craigster, the shop quoted me 1800 for the Scythe and I thought he said 1900 for the delirium with a rc4, but I might of heard him wrong, but he also said that was a locals price.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Joe76LJC said:
Thanks for all the responses. You definitely anwswered my question and we'll probably go with the Knolly. I think it will be a better for the riding that I do. And craigster, the shop quoted me 1800 for the Scythe and I thought he said 1900 for the delirium with a rc4, but I might of heard him wrong, but he also said that was a locals price.
If that's for the 2010 newer generation delrium I don't know why the hell you're here posting and not at that shop buying!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Biased since I have a Delerium but it is a wonderful bike. Truly a "do everything" ride, I've been on long XC rides and DH courses, it does them both very well. It's a bit heavy when built like I have mine (coil shock, fox 40, reverb) but having the awesome suspension made XC more fun.
I haven't gotten to ride it for several months since I broke my wrist and back the last time i was on it, but that was my fault not the bike's.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Knolly, but I'm biased since I don't own the other one. Also live in Washington. I've taken mine to Galby, Whistler, and Dry Hill, and Duthie and loved it. It's like a pocket DH bike... but then it also pedals really well to get back to the top again in the non-shuttle situations. It's a bit heavy by some standards, but oh so much fun. Support from Knolly has been top notch with the Noel himself answering question e-mails. You'll break whatever you put on the bike before the frame.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.