Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what the typical amount of knocking is on these forks? I picked up a used 2012 Fox 40 RSC2 during the off season. I put in a softer spring after getting it and it seems the knocking got louder. Things I've checked/done:

Lowers service
Removed spring and plunger assembly cleaned and regreased and reinstalled. Yes. The shrinkwrap is still in place about a third of the way up the spring.
Cleaned spacers.
Double checked all torque specs.

And it is still knocking louder than I remembered. But maybe I'm crazy.

While I had it apart I checked the diagram https://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/forks/40/40.htmp. All the parts are there and in good working order. No signs of wear/damage. I did notice, that unlike the 2014 model there is no part of the plunger that extends up into the coil and there is a bit of space between the flange and the inside of uppers so I'm not surprised there is play that would knock against the stanchion.

Anyway is knocking pretty typical in a 2012 40? Is it a problem? Did the redesign of the plunger shaft in 2014 quiet it down? Any reason to update the coil plunger assembly?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
The heat shrink should be closer to the top than bottom, and yes the plunger from 2014 was to help quiet the noise. Is there enough preload on it?

If yes, extra sections of heat shrink with lots and lots of grease

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The heat shrink should be closer to the top than bottom, and yes the plunger from 2014 was to help quiet the noise. Is there enough preload on it?

If yes, extra sections of heat shrink with lots and lots of grease
Thanks for the reply! The shrinkwrap is towards the top. Adding preload quiets it a touch, maybe but not much. Next time I take it out I'll add more shrink wrap and grease. Maybe look into a 2014 plunger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.