Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I installed a fox 34 140 yesterday in my ‘18 fuel EX 7 29. Long story short, I suck and cut the steerer tube a little short due to a bad pipe cutter. I took it to my LBS and he said even using the same amount of spacers I’d still be ok. He tightened and inspected everything up and said I was good.

Anyways when I turn the bars all the way each way, it hits the knock block as usual. But I can then turn them a little more after that initial stop. It still never hits the frame, but there is play, or slop with it. Anyone ever experience this? I never noticed this before the fork swap, but I also never pushed on it after it hit the knock block so not sure if it did it before.

Any insight appreciated!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yes, it's normal. There's a tab that sticks up from the chip in the top tube into the headset cover which has tabs that stick up into recesses in the first spacer which has tabs that stick up and engage the next spacer, which has tabs that stick up and engage recesses in the stem. All of these fit with a slight amount of clearance which adds up to the play you feel.

I'll add that if you twist your bars with some force you can stress the tabs/recesses increasing the clearance and play.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so it wouldn’t have anything to do with improperly installing a new fork or how tight things are? I don’t remember this when I had the old fork but it’s possible I just never noticed.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Of itself, it's not diagnostic of an improperly installed fork. You need to satisfy yourself that the fork is installed properly irrespective of knockblock play you might notice.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
This is my only real gripe with Knockblock. I've had three (maybe four?) bikes with it and they all do this and it always gets worse over time until if starts feeling really sloppy.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So just to double check... you guys will turn the bars to where it stops on the "knock block"... but if you put more pressure it then turns a little more right? I guess I just never noticed on my stock fork when I originally bought the bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just washed out the front where on my fuel ex9.7 and the knock block let the forks hit my frame causing a chip / crack. Cockpit all standard and lbs has it now waiting on trek to advise an outcome. Do you think I should be entitled to a new frame since the knock block failed? I heard a “ting” sound as I went down and on e of the spacers is completely gone?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Anything can be broken crashing so damage due to a crash isn't usually covered under warranty, but it doesn't matter what we think. You need to take it to a dealer so they can submit a warranty claim and see what Trek comes back with. The LBS can advocate for you...to a degree.

FWIW: I think the straight shot downtube and knockblock is a bogus design choice and a major negative on Trek's bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.