Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought '21 Fuel EX 8, having some issues figuring out how to carry it in my '98 GMC Sierra short box. I tried a moving blanket over the tailgate but it looks like the spokes would rub on the bumper due to the knock block limiting the turning ability. Anyone else have this issue? Any solutions? I will be carrying other bikes so I can't have mine at an angle in the bed to make it work...

The bike length and inside bed length are exactly the same (I think it was 76" if I remember correctly) so if I stood it up inside the bed, the front tire would have to be touching the front wall and the tailgate would touch the rear leaving no room for any kind of rack.

Currently I'm carrying it by removing the front wheel and attaching it to one of those brackets that the thru axle goes through. That bracket is screwed to a 2x4 that rests in slots in the front of the bed. It's how I carried my older bikes with V brakes and worked well, but removing and reinstalling the front wheel every time isn't ideal.

Any creative solutions would be much appreciated!!

·
Community Manager at Trek
414 Posts
I'm anti-tailgate transport since you risk denting (alloy) or cracking (carbon) your frame should you hit a rough road and the bike moves to hit the tailgate hard enough.

I would suggest a hitch rack or that in-bed style which will be safer and more secure for your new baby.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm anti-tailgate transport since you risk denting (alloy) or cracking (carbon) your frame should you hit a rough road and the bike moves to hit the tailgate hard enough.

I would suggest a hitch rack or that in-bed style which will be safer and more secure for your new baby.
Good point, I would not want that to happen. I could do an in-bed rack and secure the rear wheel in it. That way I could turn the front to allow the gate to close. I've never seen it done like that so I'm not sure if there would be an issue with it. Anyone see an issue transporting a bike by the rear wheel?

·
Community Manager at Trek
414 Posts
Good point, I would not want that to happen. I could do an in-bed rack and secure the rear wheel in it. That way I could turn the front to allow the gate to close. I've never seen it done like that so I'm not sure if there would be an issue with it. Anyone see an issue transporting a bike by the rear wheel?
Carrying it by the rear wheel would be fine, just have something to hold the front down as well like a strap or fork mount on a 2x4. There are also some systems that Thule makes. Another option would be a bed rack with a bike tray mounted to it, then you could have all of your storage space in the bed free.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I usually drape them over the tailgate on a blanket in my 18 Titan. I just got a proper tailgate setup that straps down and is better material than a blanket. I have put 4-5 bikes in there at once. No issues.

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
223 Posts
Knock Blocks and tailgate pads work fine...I have been doing it for years and have had as many as 5 bikes in the back of a Tacoma this way. They are safe and secure. My only issue (and the reason I bought a 1Up rack) is that the pad can scuff the frame where it rides if there is any mud or dirt at all.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Carrying it by the rear wheel would be fine, just have something to hold the front down as well like a strap or fork mount on a 2x4. There are also some systems that Thule makes. Another option would be a bed rack with a bike tray mounted to it, then you could have all of your storage space in the bed free.
That's what I did. Made mine with a 2x8 painted with Flex Seal, a mount from Amazon, couple of L-brackets, and I notched the wood to fit between the bed and tailgate. It's rock solid, and it cost me about $60.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts