Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I need a new name
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be doing my first race this weekend at Tsali. Any tips for a first timer? I've pre-registered so what will I need to do once I get there?

·
I need a new name
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. The goal is to have fun. Some people have asked if I'm nervous but I'm really not. I guess my motorcycle racing background takes care of that. I keep telling myself it doesn't matter where I finish as long as I do finish but then that competitive side makes me want to go out for a win. I've just got to remind myself not to hammer too hard at the start just to zonk out at the end.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
hillbilly_hank said:
Thanks for the tips. The goal is to have fun. Some people have asked if I'm nervous but I'm really not. I guess my motorcycle racing background takes care of that. I keep telling myself it doesn't matter where I finish as long as I do finish but then that competitive side makes me want to go out for a win. I've just got to remind myself not to hammer too hard at the start just to zonk out at the end.
Good point about not hammering at the start.

You'll learn a lot during your first race. If you have no expectations you'll be able to be more relaxed....and you'll do better when relaxed.

Good Luck. Post a race report when you have the time.

·
Jabberwocky Jockey
809 Posts
Some good tips so far.

Try to stay relaxed. You will see alot of people stressing out over all kinds of stuff. It's just a race for pete's sake. Try to ride the second half of the race faster than the first. Resist the urge to eat or drink alot just before the race starts. You should be working on hydration now thru Sunday morning. Give your bike a check on Saturday. Make sure all the spokes feel tight, brakes feel good, chain is lubed, e.t.c. Give it a once over.

Try to get on your bike and pedal some about a half hour before the race. You want to arrive at the line with a light sweat on your brow. The start will be extremely hard and fast but that pace will only last for a few minutes and everybody will settle in to "race pace".
Ride your own race and go as hard as you can and still finish.

The best tip of all: Have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.