Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
All-most Mountain
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this here instead of the injury forum because...its not an injury.

Here lately, my left knee has been feeling "weak." No pain or anything, just a little weird.

I always try to stretch good before hand, and I have never had any knee injuries.

This problem just came out in recent weeks, which is the same time frame that I have stepped up my riding and gym cardio (elliptical, stairmaster, and some treadmill.)

Just curious about other riders' knee issues, and what you did to help/prevent it.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I have issues with a knee feeling weak or "loose" once in a while, no pain at all, but it all started in high school after messing something up skiing. More than 10 years later I can't pick out what makes that feeling come on or what makes it go away.

I just live with it and ride / ski like normal. I figure at some point in my life I will be spending some quality time with an orthopedic surgeon.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I got a pretty bad knee injury while hiking; tore something, got a lot of fluid under the knee cap... hiked the rest of the 20 km on it and couldn't walk the next day. Now my knee feels sort of like what you describe after healing up; not painful but weak and a bit numb at times whenever I pedal really hard.

I cannot remember exactly what pain killer I was prescribed but taking a rest of about 2 weeks helped it get better. I'm quite sure the cause of the tear was due to overuse of the knee as well as falling enough without the proper protection.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm 50 and have bad knees (torn acls in both)

ibuprofen daily,
smaller gears (dont ride the ss very much anymore)
post ride alternate ice/heat if you need to

·
Registered
373 Posts
Camshaft213 said:
HAhah well i didnt know!! umm honestly the only time i ever feel weak is if im getting sick, or the weather is getting cold.. it is kinda odd if you have never expierienced this before and your only 30. Id say if it keeps up and if it gets worse go see a doc

·
Registered
837 Posts
hey camshaft! make sure your saddle is the right height. also there has been talk lately about stretching after the ride, not before. start your ride EZ spin style, and warm up properly. Then go with the post ride stretch. It helps promote quicker recovery. since I have been doing this, I haven't had any knee issues like before.
Barring all this, upping your fitness game may not be allowing enough downtime for the knee? best-o-luck, and may you enjoy dirt cycling for years to come. :cornut:

·
Hawkish on Choads
103 Posts
you are gettin old

I will be 31 in a week. For about the last year I get weakness in one knee sometimes, it usually is nothing big, it makes me nervous more than anything. I get scared to put much lateral toque on the knee for fear it will blow out. It usually goes away pretty fast though if I just keep doin what I was doin.
Good luck

·
Registered
504 Posts
My knees HATE those first two machines you mentioned. They caused my knees more pain and trouble in the shortest time than anything else I've ever done.

Stretching.... it's something I've rarely done. Not 'cos it's clever but I'm only interested in the training/exercise part of it.

I do eat and drink the "right" stuff to help set up for events/exercise, etc and repair afterwards so I do care about it.

If a particular body part is hurting I'll stretch it a tiny bit, warmup, stretch and so on and I do the ice, compression bandage/wrap thing whenever it's needed after because it makes sense to.

But I've never understood why I should stretch when my body has no elasticity whatsoever.
How can it achieve anything? After a sensible, personally adjusted warmup when the body is at "operating temperature" then it could be stretched.

And that's when those last little extras are attainable.

There may be plenty who disagree with that but it's done me ok.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I felt some pain/tiredness in my knees back in Sept. Not thinking much of it or letting
myself/knees rest...I now have a torn Meniscus in my left knee.
Oh what joy...

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Screamer said:
I now have a torn Meniscus in my left knee.
Oh what joy...
Sorry to hear that. I suffered the same about four years ago.

Hopefully yours is no worse than mine was. I think the surgeon had to snip out about 25% of it. I was running on the treadmill five weeks after surgery. I could have ridden a bike on smooth terrain less than 3 weeks after surgery....recovery times can be very quick if you have a good surgeon and you're in good physical shape.

My knee has been 100% ever since healing from surgery, and I have no limits on what I can do with it.

Best of luck!

-Pete

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Camshaft213 said:
I posted this here instead of the injury forum because...its not an injury.

Here lately, my left knee has been feeling "weak." No pain or anything, just a little weird.

I always try to stretch good before hand, and I have never had any knee injuries.

This problem just came out in recent weeks, which is the same time frame that I have stepped up my riding and gym cardio (elliptical, stairmaster, and some treadmill.)

Just curious about other riders' knee issues, and what you did to help/prevent it.
Cycling is great for strengthening knees. It is the first thing you are allowed/encouraged to do after having knee surgery.

You have mentioned too many variables. If you are having problems, then you are likely using poor form at some or all of the exercises you are doing ... running, cardio machines, or bike. In my experience, they can all cause knee problems and are all correctable. You have to be very aware of what is going on while you are exercising.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks Pete...surgery is scheduled in a couple weeks.
Ten years ago I had my right knee done and healing was fast.
If I can ride in four or five weeks I'll be happy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ibuprofen long-term use

3034 said:
I'm 50 and have bad knees (torn acls in both)

ibuprofen daily,
smaller gears (dont ride the ss very much anymore)
post ride alternate ice/heat if you need to
There are potentially serious long-term useage health issues connected with Ibuprofen. I am 53 and am trying to wean myself from Ibuprofen. Perhaps other NSAID type pain meds such as Advil or Motrin or something similar (one of these is actually be Ibuprofen but don't recall which)may be appropriate if you feel the need. I have done well lately with plain old aspirin. However, I have not ridden for a couple months, so will have to see how the knee holds out when riding season starts up again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
BIGHORN LEW said:
hey camshaft! make sure your saddle is the right height. also there has been talk lately about stretching after the ride, not before. start your ride EZ spin style, and warm up properly. Then go with the post ride stretch. It helps promote quicker recovery. since I have been doing this, I haven't had any knee issues like before.
Barring all this, upping your fitness game may not be allowing enough downtime for the knee? best-o-luck, and may you enjoy dirt cycling for years to come. :cornut:
Since you have experience with knee problems, and I have mild knee pain from time to time whether from a recent ride or just everyday work, do you recommend heightening or lowering the saddle, and why?

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Doctor! Doctor!

Since you are asking on a forum....

Straightman,"Doctor my arm hurts when I do this!"
Doctor, "Don't do this!"

Actually I don't think that this is too far off. Take it easy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts