Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come back from ACL reconstructive surgery to race 24's and endurance races (100km)?I've just had ACL surgery and surgeon tells me I will race 24's, trans rockies again.I do believe him but wanted to hear anyone experienced with post op endurance racing (straight from the horses mouth).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fear Not

You'll come back stronger than ever. You're obviously fit, if you've done races like that in the past, so you're starting your rehab with a distinct advantage.

I tore my ACL/MCL and some cartilage, 19 years ago, and I've skied an average of 100+ day/year since then with no problems; and ridden a number of 24's solo, as well as some 100 milers. Back then people used to say, "Ah, it'll never be the same." Man, that ticked me off. They were right, it's not the same, it's better. If you're doctor says you'll be back, I'd probably believe him/her. They tend not to offer false hope when they're dealing with athletes. With a positive attitude (even if there are some setbacks), and a lot of riding, you'll be as good as new in the not too distant future.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Endos dad for your reply.I was a bit vegue about my injury, I also tore my MCL and some cartledge,so sounds pretty close to the same injury.I believe my surgeon but wanted to hear everything will be OK from someone with first hand experience.I'm now 7 weeks post op and spinning 1hr + 10km flat riding outside.I also work at a ski resort year round so am very happy to hear about the skiing part as well.Thanks again for the positive feed back.You have made my DAY :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Rehab is key

I had same type ACL/MCL about 7 yrs ago. :mad: Gave up racing for about 2 yrs for various personal reasons. I do have minor issues with my ACL knee, have to limber up a little more to reach 100% flexibility, I notice some minor pains during cold weather etc. I permanently gave up pick-up basketball and volley ball. I did start skiing again with just minor discomfort. I began cycling right away, never had any real cycling related problems (one leg is still a little larger than the other, my muscle came back different), started racing about 4 yrs ago on and off with a full transition to endurance events two years ago. I see no reason you can not return to 100% + + from this surgery. Might take a little extra work to fully recover ,you will get out of rehab what you put in. I have been very happy with my results and know I could have done a little more in rehab had I a strong enough reason to. Good Luck!!!. .

·
Registered
6 Posts
You'lll get there...

I had two knee surgeries seven and five months ago respectively. I had a torn ACL but it was misdiagnosed so the first surgery was basically a bust. I did a solo 12-hour a couple weeks ago and I am racing a solo 24-hour in another month. I just did my first singlespeed ride since surgery and had no pain. I am still doing a decent amount of physical therapy and strengthening excercises and that leg is definitely weaker but not prohibitively so. You'll get back and even though it sucks now, it won't be long. Good luck, hang in there.

·
conjoinicorned
3,519 Posts
i have had 2 ACL surgeries (with 6 or 7 scopes for cartilage cleanup and such) 11 and 6 years ago. the reason i got into biking in the first place 11 years ago was for physical therapy, then turned into an addiction!

while i'm really happy for Endo's dad, it's not the case in every instance, that's why a lot of people end up with 2 or more surgeries. overall, you will be able to ride any kind of biking you like (i still DH/FR, do endurance rides, singlespeed, whatever) but you may (or may not) think about cutting down on the high knee impact sports (basketball, skiing etc.). since i've gotten the 2nd surgery i stopped skiing, switched to snowboarding, and do it a lot less.

just watch your seat height!!!!!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
straight up said:
Has anyone come back from ACL reconstructive surgery to race 24's and endurance races (100km)?.
I've torn both acl's with significant meniscus removal on both.

You will be fine if you do the rehab right.

First order is to get your range of motion back before the scar tissue rusts your joint. Then focus on strength, then worry about your fitness.

There is a point at 3-4 months when you feel good, but your graft doesn't have a great blood supply established - this is when the overzealous tear the graft and force a do-over.

Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Me Too

I tore my ACL in 1995 playing rugby and after surgery I did some rehab and it felt good. Then in 2000 I started cycling and it has never felt better. Don't have full range of motion, but it does not seem to matter.

I have done 12 hour solos, 24 hour solos and 100 milers and the knee presents no issues.

Later and good luck, Brett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.