Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

knee/shin pads

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  shady 
#1 ·
I'm looking into getting something like the 661 4x4s or fox launch pads which would you go with? Any other pad suggestions would be nice also.
thanks

#4 ·
#5 ·
Pete-G said:
Hugely expensive compared to the others here in the UK, but the RaceFace Rally FR I've got are superb. No movement, complete coverage,and reasonable breathable. Saved my legs on many an occasion.
I have to agree with Pete. These RF FR pads are great and very comfortable.
I also have the arm pads and like them a lot as well eventhough I have experienced a few times where they slip a little. Not much though.

#7 ·
only scrawny legs?

I have been using the Roach FR pads. Light and LOTS of protection, but a bit overkill for many of the trails I am currently riding.

I just picked up a pair of 661 Kyle Strait knee pads on Price Point. Low profile, hard cap over knee, good flexibility and covers the CRITICAL areas...such as the kneecap, which could otherwise end up with non-recoverable damage.

Bummer for me is their sizing seems to be based on kids or women's sizing. Either that or the world is now mostly scrawny legs. I am 5'11" with BIKERS legs, but a mere shadow of the tree trunks I used to have in my youth and the large Kyle straits are WAY undersize even without using their straps. So if you have chicken legs, these should be ideal.

Price Point is the only place that has sizing measurements. They seemed so small that I assumed the knee guards would have plenty of stretch to make up for it, WRONG. The PP sizing is the MAXIMUM circumferance these will fit. I can't imagine how skinny the small size must be!

I wrote 661, and was pleasantly suprised by a quick response. I wasn't happy with the response. Not so much as a "sorry", but they ARE coming out with an XL size in June.(I'd call that an "oops!") Not that I want to pay ANOTHER $54 bucks for the RIGHT size.

I guess they shouldn't have let the shop in China that makes these pads also size them on standard asian sizing?

I am hoping I can somehow stretch them out enough to fit me since otherwise they seem like an AWESOME "low key" pad.

#9 ·
I had the 661 veggie wraps but found them pretty hot actually and they chafed behind the knee (where the cutout hole is) during pedalling.

I had the Fox Launch pads for about a week. Great design, looks, functionality and excellent ventilation. But the stitching came undone and one of the straps started majorly deteriorating within 2 rides. This is because instead of using the clips I had to use the velcro & adjust the tightness of the straps a few times, guess it just caught on the stitching. So they were sent back for warranty and still waiting to hear back a month later!
Bit of a side note I did find them irritating above the knee area when pedalling, the inside mesh or stitching was pretty hars & would have rubbed me raw. I did like the clip in system - very easy to put on & off but if one of the straps deteriorated with age I think it would be hard to fix (well harder than a pad with conventional straps).

So in the meantime I got a set of Race Face Rally FR (cheaper than the Foxes here in Aus). These are great. Bulkier looking and hotter than the Launch pads (not as hot as the 661 veggies) but I find that I don't really notice the heat and if you're moving with breeze the vents do work. Very comfy too, the inner padding is nice & soft & they feel very solid. The Rally's also go all the way to the shoe / ankle compared to the Launch Pads which fall a bit short. Straps work well (no stitching issues to date) and only had a small chafing issue right at the corner of the pads (which have to move when you pedal really) but a ride or two after & they're perfect.

My Volte goes for the Roach / Race Face pads.
I pedal alot, guess I mostly do trail or xc style riding and having a go at the odd drop or jump when I'm feeling game and the opportunity arises. Not much worse than a banged up knee or slit shin from pedal bite. Elbows feel a bit vulnerable now, but it's easier to ride home with only one arm than one leg!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.