Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my shopping cart is filling up on CBO, but I'd like to add some knee / shin guards.

We're mainly looking for protection from the cat-claw hanging over the trails.

We're also looking for something that is well ventilated and stays put.

If you have a particular set you like, or dislike, please let me know.

TIA!

·
My other ride is your mom
5,440 Posts
If you only care about the cat-claw, I would think some of the burly, but soft pads out there (which also happen to be the cheaper ones) would fit the bill (perhaps more breathable than a hard shell and for sure, more comfortable).

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Dainese 3X Knee/Shin

Evil Patrick said:
Hey, my shopping cart is filling up on CBO, but I'd like to add some knee / shin guards.

TIA!
Hi Mr. Evil,

For XC rides including protection from unfriendly flora I like the Dainese 3X Knee/Shin guard. They stay in place during a crash, are light/cool and easy to pedal in yet still offer full protection. For FR/DH I use the RockGardn Landing Zone Knee/Shin Guard. If you do a search I've posted several detailed reviews of both of these products.

Take care,

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Ditto Dainese 3X Knee/Shin guards

I second the Dainese 3X Knee/Shin guards. Light and relativley cool and can pedal in them all day and they stay put. Great for all mountain riding up and down.

michaelsnead said:
Hi Mr. Evil,

For XC rides including protection from unfriendly flora I like the Dainese 3X Knee/Shin guard. They stay in place during a crash, are light/cool and easy to pedal in yet still offer full protection. For FR/DH I use the RockGardn Landing Zone Knee/Shin Guard. If you do a search I've posted several detailed reviews of both of these products.

Take care,

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pads

I bought 661 Evo elbows and Kyle Strait knees from Cactus last month. Wore them on a Gooseberry Mesa ride. They were relatively cool and stayed in place. Not nearly as much pedaling resistance as I feared. I haven't tried many pads but these feel good.

Cactus had a good supply when I was there.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've got a pair of 661 Race knee/shin guards. Fit pretty good and stay in place. They do have a hard plastic shell and have taken some great hits. As far as breathable I'v enever really thought about it. They do have some vent holes though.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
661 EVO Line is perfect they now make two lines, a beefier line and a lighter more breathable line. The d30 is a sweet technology.

The Light EVO XC Style Knee Pad

Shin Guard that works with the knee pads

EVO Elbow XC

The coolest thing about these pads is that the d30 is totally flexible, light, and breathable but when it impacts it hardens up.

Downfalls: Nasty fall on loose chunked out AZ rock won't do to much for your elbows. 661 is always sort of shotty on their seams, sometimes only a single stitch. So having had mine for two years now, they are stretched out and a little ratty, but still work fine. They are what I wear if I'm not rocking the hard plastic.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dgangi said:
You want pads to protect from cats claw?

You're kidding I hope.

Thx...Doug

Doug, you should come on down to Tucson and join me following SunDog (Louis G) on
some of the "routes" he selects. Trail? What trail?

:D

The cat claw is iniquitous. And I want something that gives me more protection from potential
crashes during the Catalina Hucking that goes on in that same area.

Lots of votes for the sixsixone products. I looked hard at the Dainese 3X's, but I could
almost get a 2 for 1 by going with the sixsixones. We're really not going to be wearing
these things for too many rides. Just special occasions. Like Red Ridge. Or the one
nasty DH on Goat Camp.

·
Registered
181 Posts
how do the Light EVO XC knee pads work when falling on rocks? would the Kyle Strait be better suited for rock gardens?

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
One thing to consider with the 661's, is that they are more likely to get ripped up by the cat claw when compared to the hard plastic on the Dainese 3X's and the 661's don't cover the lower shins where cat claw rips the most.

Evil Patrick said:
Doug, you should come on down to Tucson and join me following ,SunDog (Louis G) on
some of the "routes" he selects. Trail? What trail?

:D

The cat claw is iniquitous. And I want something that gives me more protection from potential
crashes during the Catalina Hucking that goes on in that same area.

Lots of votes for the sixsixone products. I looked hard at the Dainese 3X's, but I could
almost get a 2 for 1 by going with the sixsixones. We're really not going to be wearing
these things for too many rides. Just special occasions. Like Red Ridge. Or the one
nasty DH on Goat Camp.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Evil Patrick said:

TIA!
EP, I've tried a lot of different knee/shin guards. I ride in Tucson also and have found that the Kyle Straits work very well, you can ride with them all day. I keep the soft shell lizard skin shin guards (hard outer shell) in my pack when I ride through the high grass at K.C. or in the cat claw up by the rail x. I wouldn't go with a knee/shin combo, I guarantee that after you ride in them once you're sending them back the next day. Unfortunetley we're surrounded by country that requires a tremedous amount of pedaling here in Tucson no matter where we ride (unless you shuttle) and I have yet to find a combo that is comfortable to ride 3-4 hours in...Just my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts