Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bad knees, esp. my left knee which has taken me out of riding for years (7) Spring is near and I want to get back into riding a bit more aggressively but need advice on decent knee guards. I do XC/AM so do not need hardcore guards, just decent ones. Figured I would ask before buying blind.

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, yes, heard about those. I keep thinking of the Evo but read that they are not so amazing as stated by 661.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i tried on the 661 evo XC ones, but i couldnt get them to fit right. i ended up with a set of kali protectives knee guards, and they have been pretty comfy for me over the past year or so. i'm on the skinny side, and i wasnt able to get any of the fox or 661 guards to fit right (and i ended up w/ a size small kali, even tho i'm 6')

·
Registered
205 Posts
Blksocks said:
I have bad knees, esp. my left knee which has taken me out of riding for years (7) Spring is near and I want to get back into riding a bit more aggressively but need advice on decent knee guards. I do XC/AM so do not need hardcore guards, just decent ones. Figured I would ask before buying blind.
what do you nee knee guards for? sounds to me more like you need a brace to help strengthen the knee!! I've never yet run into someon who NEEDED knee pads to ride XC/AM! most just want them.

tip 1: stop falling!
tip 2: refer to tip 1

Of course I have seen the odd person in full on downhill battle gear, chugging around the local single track! totally ridiculas!

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was98strat said:
what do you nee knee guards for? sounds to me more like you need a brace to help strengthen the knee!! I've never yet run into someon who NEEDED knee pads to ride XC/AM! most just want them.

Of course I have seen the odd person in full on downhill battle gear, chugging around the local single track! totally ridiculas!
I read your post and the number 16 kept popping up in my head.

Btw, when someone says they have bad knees that does not necessarily mean they have weak knees... :thumbsup:

·
Boom bap ambassador
740 Posts
Depending on where you ride and the terrain you encounter you may want to take a look at a Rockgardn Shorty LZ.

This dude gives you a hard cover over your knee cap which is handy if you live/ride somewhere where the rocks are a bit more...pronounced.

I use this knee guard and it has served me pretty well in Arizona but not every place is like Arizona where the rocks can be jagged, large, or both.

·
Registered
47 Posts
was98strat said:

You are a ****ing tool. True story.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
do you need protection and a brace? if you want the support with a bit of padding id look at something like the 661 veggie knee.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
ecosse said:
You are a ****ing tool. True story.

the knees and elbows are complex joints, and it makes sense to protect them (even for XC/AM guys). i broke + disloc my elbow, and 7 months later, its still not fully healed.

also, sometimes you wipe out on easy trails that you are familiar with (the trail i broke my elbow, i had ridden several times before just fine, but i made a mistake and lost my balance) if someone thinks that kneepads will give them more confidence or safety, i say go for it.

·
Singlespeeder
14 Posts
was98strat said:

Immaturity=bulletproof(at least in your own mind) thanks for your useless contribution to this thread :rolleyes:
Last spring I was riding down a trail with a lot of switch backs, barely moving at all since they were basicly 180* off camber turns, lost my balance on one and fell over....my kneecap broke my fall landing squarely right on a big rock. I could barely walk for several weeks and couldn't ride for a month. I picked up a set of POC kneepads, and they have saved my knees several times since. They are very comfortable to ride in and also offer some padded protection on the sides of the knees :thumbsup:

·
I <3 bikes
252 Posts
might look at the Fox Launch knee guards. I've had mine for a few months and like them so far. Can't say how they well they take a hit though as I haven't crashed since I got them. Not sure if I'll be able to put up with them during the summer (I live in Houston, Tx) as they do not ventilate well. Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a pair of 661 Evo's. I'd look at those and the POC Joint's. They have the 3dO material that is soft and flexible, but stiffens upon impact. The Evo's saved my ass when launching OTB at Moab knees first onto a big flat rock.

Some people will complain about the stitching on the EVO's blowing out, but I haven't had any problem after one season of riding them.

I paid about $80 for them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've been using the POC Joint Knee and elbows for about a year now. Excellent protection and comfortable to pedal in. I have crashed at least four times with them and they have saved either a knee, elbow or both each time. Well made as well...no rips or tears.

·
Registered
436 Posts
was98strat said:

Nodody needs pads. People want them to protect just in case, or rather for when you do go down, to prevent more injury than needed. If you are not falling down,which is what I gather from your post, your not pushing it. Does not matter if your XC/AM DH or just retarded. Further more for the person riding in full gear while on singletrack, perhaps they have brittle bones or just dont want to get hurt when they hit that sandy, mossy, black ice patch or they are feeling confident to try that log hop when it shows up.. Best to have protection and ride than not ride at all.

tip 1: shut your trap when you don't know facts
tip 2- refer to tip 1 from now on if you have nothing relevant to the post question

·
Registered
436 Posts
Now, to my relevenat post. I am getting the poc knee shin bone guards. I looked at the non hard shell stuff and they all have elastic in back on the knee. I hate that. This poc is cheaper than non bone version and has zero elastic on back of knee., nice and open.

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Didn't know this was still going. I would just ignore the 16 year old school boy in tight shorts, was98. Boogers like him are just mere pests.

I am gonna go with the kyle straits.

The reason I asked for advice is because If I was to smash my left knee I will get water build up. Knee protection will cause less water build up then if I was to use no protection. I do not want to have a needle shoved in my knee so I will take the guard/nsaid route. When I wrote, bad, I didn't mean weak. If I meant, weak, I would of wrote weak, lol. I do strength training... I am not weak. :)

Appreciate the helpful/kind posts, ty.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts