Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
knee problems anyone???

My left is giving me problems, no apparent cause, may have jammed a few weeks ago, but it keeps getting worse, without any riding or stress. I've got a doctors appointment in a week and a half.

until then, any advice, cold, heat, ibuprofen, etc.????

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
Follow link to some answers

kenaran said:
My left is giving me problems, no apparent cause, may have jammed a few weeks ago, but it keeps getting worse, without any riding or stress. I've got a doctors appointment in a week and a half.

until then, any advice, cold, heat, ibuprofen, etc.????
http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Thanks for the reply's, I'll have to dig deeper into the website. My primary concern right now is that I haven't ridden since sunday and it's getting worse. It started when I finished my retro project, my full suspension died last month. The retro is a cro-mo hardtail with 8 speed LX. The knee problems started before I swapped my clipless pedals over to it. I had been riding them for a couple years. The jamming was crossing a street, right foot slipped off the pedal and the pedal took a good gash out my right shin. I didn't notice any left knee stuff until a couple of days later. I have been pushing it pretty hard though, in high gear.

·
Go Bears!
141 Posts
kenaran said:
The jamming was crossing a street, right foot slipped off the pedal and the pedal took a good gash out my right shin. I didn't notice any left knee stuff until a couple of days later. I have been pushing it pretty hard though, in high gear.
Is the gash on the right leg causing you to limp or compensate in some way when you walk? It could be that you're gait has changed and you're placing more as well as different stress on your left leg. Pushing high gears doesn't help any either. If you are limping around, try going on crutches for a while and see if it helps.

Pain is your body telling you something's wrong. Pushing through it will usually make it worse. We hear of professional athletes playing through pain, but they also have docs and therapists treating them every day. Ibuprofen or other painkillers can help, but you have to make sure to stay off the leg, or else you're just covering up the pain while making the problem worse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
for now, keep the riding low miles or do not ride at all, then stretch it 2 times a day even if you dont ride (stretch your quads, hamstrings, calfs, etc.) ive had knee problems right now, IT band syndrome from running track and cross country. i have been out for about 7 months now. no fun at all. so thats why i am cross training with my bike. also, lowering the seat may h elp if what you have is IT band syndrome.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pain is around the top of the kneecap kind of to the inner side, but close to center. Like I've jammed the kneecap into something, but I haven't. The gash on the right leg only had me limping for a day or two, and I doubt that the gash itself did anything. The incident itself may have unexpecteled moved the pedals that I didn't notice at the time, but I doubt it could cause this. My right knee/leg are fatigued at the moment from compensating for the left. I'll try strecthing, but I'll have to be careful, it hurts the most when I'm straitening the leg while standing (getting up from a chair), not much at all bending to and beyond a 90 degree angle. I've been avoiding anything physical since Sunday, including bicycling. The pain is very managable without medication as long as I take it easy, I can walk around normally just fine. But I can feel that something is not right. Hopefully the doctor will figure it out a week from Friday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
kenaran said:
The pain is around the top of the kneecap kind of to the inner side, but close to center. Like I've jammed the kneecap into something, but I haven't. The gash on the right leg only had me limping for a day or two, and I doubt that the gash itself did anything. The incident itself may have unexpecteled moved the pedals that I didn't notice at the time, but I doubt it could cause this. My right knee/leg are fatigued at the moment from compensating for the left. I'll try strecthing, but I'll have to be careful, it hurts the most when I'm straitening the leg while standing (getting up from a chair), not much at all bending to and beyond a 90 degree angle. I've been avoiding anything physical since Sunday, including bicycling. The pain is very managable without medication as long as I take it easy, I can walk around normally just fine. But I can feel that something is not right. Hopefully the doctor will figure it out a week from Friday.
yes a doctor should help. hope u get better soon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.