Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'6" 230# riding a GF Sugar 2+ XL. I have noticed that my knees are bothering me after long rides with steep climbs. I figured it was due to the slight impact you may get from mt biking. However, since the birth of my son in January, I have been running 2-3 times a week, as I do not have as much time to ride as I used to (only ride 1/week or 1 every 2 weeks). Granted, I only run for about a half an hour whereas I usually ride 2 hours +, but it seems odd to me that I do not experience any knee pain running or after running, but I do feel it after a ride. Maybe it is just the infrequency of my riding. Anyone else experience this or have suggestions on how I may need to change my riding geometry?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Knee pain

First, congratulations on your son's birth!!!

"...the cattle in your stable,
the dog by your front door,
and all that dwell within your gates
We wish you ten times more."

About your knee pain, here are four quick things you can check:

- are you pushing big gears up the steep hills? You're a big guy, and can put a lot of strain on your knee joints that way. (Myself, that's something I avoid, and I'm nowhere near your size.)

- is your seat high enough? (There are a couple of ways to measure this, but a quick way is to sit on the seat and, with your heel on the pedal, leg straight out, hold the pedal at about 7 O'clock. The heel of your biking shoe should be just barely on the pedal. With your foot in normal position (ball of foot roughly over pedal spindle), and the pedal at 6 O'clock, the knee should be slightly bent. (I'm writing "should" here, but of course people have preferences to suit themselves and the terrain they ride.)

- is the fore/aft position of your seat correct? i.e., with your foot in regular pedaling position, and the cranks level, is the small hollow just under the forward part of your knee vertically over the pedal spindle? Sit on the bike, and have someone else check this by dangling a straightedge from the front of your knee. (Here again, people have preferences... but you probably don't want to get too far away from this basic position.)

- are you using clipless pedals that are holding your foot in a frozen postion throughout the pedal's revolution because there's no side-to-side play in the clip/shoe connection? There should be a few "degrees of freedom" there. (Could be that the cleat tension is set too tight, or the cleats and/or pedals aren't broken in yet, or there's too much shoe sole rubber right around the cleat.) One way to check this is to screw on some ordinary platform pedals and go for your normal rides. If your knee discomfort disappears, you've found the source of the problem.

By the way, I would try adjusting these elements one at a time. If you change more than one you won't know exactly what was causing your knee pain. Fortunately, all of these potential sources of knee pain are easy, quick and cheap to investigate. I wish everything was that way. Seems like lots of times we have to throw money at a bike problem to check out the alternatives, and even then what we come up with doesn't really work all that well anyway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
if you are using clippless my first guess it would be that they aren't set up right or your bike geometry isn't set up right for you and your pedals are hurting you. Go to your local bike shop and have someone look at how your sitting on the bike. I have read you can get bad knee problems if you keep using clipless pedals that aren't set up right for you.

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
Follow link to awnsers

Rollin' On said:
First, congratulations on your son's birth!!!

"...the cattle in your stable,
the dog by your front door,
and all that dwell within your gates
We wish you ten times more."

About your knee pain, here are four quick things you can check:

- are you pushing big gears up the steep hills? You're a big guy, and can put a lot of strain on your knee joints that way. (Myself, that's something I avoid, and I'm nowhere near your size.)

- is your seat high enough? (There are a couple of ways to measure this, but a quick way is to sit on the seat and, with your heel on the pedal, leg straight out, hold the pedal at about 7 O'clock. The heel of your biking shoe should be just barely on the pedal. With your foot in normal position (ball of foot roughly over pedal spindle), and the pedal at 6 O'clock, the knee should be slightly bent. (I'm writing "should" here, but of course people have preferences to suit themselves and the terrain they ride.)

- is the fore/aft position of your seat correct? i.e., with your foot in regular pedaling position, and the cranks level, is the small hollow just under the forward part of your knee vertically over the pedal spindle? Sit on the bike, and have someone else check this by dangling a straightedge from the front of your knee. (Here again, people have preferences... but you probably don't want to get too far away from this basic position.)

- are you using clipless pedals that are holding your foot in a frozen postion throughout the pedal's revolution because there's no side-to-side play in the clip/shoe connection? There should be a few "degrees of freedom" there. (Could be that the cleat tension is set too tight, or the cleats and/or pedals aren't broken in yet, or there's too much shoe sole rubber right around the cleat.) One way to check this is to screw on some ordinary platform pedals and go for your normal rides. If your knee discomfort disappears, you've found the source of the problem.

By the way, I would try adjusting these elements one at a time. If you change more than one you won't know exactly what was causing your knee pain. Fortunately, all of these potential sources of knee pain are easy, quick and cheap to investigate. I wish everything was that way. Seems like lots of times we have to throw money at a bike problem to check out the alternatives, and even then what we come up with doesn't really work all that well anyway.
http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.