Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a slight pain underneath only my RIGHT kneecap for the past week. It developed about 6 days after I increased my training volume by riding outdoors (yes!!!!) again. Basicly, I went from training about 10 hours per week to 13-14 hours per week.

Given that the pain is only in my right knee, I immeaditly checked my bike setup--I recently purchased a new Specialized Allez Comp in 2005. After inspecting, I decided to move the saddle forward more and lower the seat by about .5 cm. After doing this, my knee feel better, and my riding doesn't seem to agrivate the pain at all, but I can still feel a "strain" under my kneecap when I climb stairs or put a lot of weight on my knee while it is bent.

I am icing the knee nightly.

What could be causing my pain? What should I do to alleviate the pain?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
check the pedal

Check pedal to see if the locking mechanism cause your shoe to point inward thus when you pedal, your leg is tilt at an angle. Is this first time you have this problem on this bike? Do you have difficulty walking upstairs just before this problem happened?

Check your posture when you raise the pedal upward postion before downstroke. Is your knee too close to the front of the bike causing your knees to bend inward automatically to avoid hitting the handle bar?

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
i have heard this called a couple of different things and have had it as well...i am no doctor but from my experience (and experience of others i know) it seems to be due to muscles not being stretched enough...i have had it twice and the first time i didn't know what to do and it went away after time off the bike....last year it happened again and i found a couple of exercises that really help....first just stretch your quads and hamstrings very well nightly....the other stretch is to use a tennis ball on the outside of your knee just above the kneecap and roll on it with your arms supporting your upper body....if you do it right it actually hurts like hell...this helped me last year and didn't need time off the bike...good luck..

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'd say check the cleats and maybe try shifting them a bit to see if it helps (if it's a new bike you may not have the cleats quite lined up right) Also even if you manage to fix the problem you may have temporarily damaged something so maybe go see a doctor or physio, might have tendonitis - I had it from tennis and it was painful and not fun. Stretch properly before and after a ride.

·
Team BikeWood
161 Posts
I recently had a problem with pain under the kneecap in one knee also. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who just happened to be a cyclist/triathlete. After diagnosing that there was nothing structurally wrong with the knee he gave me some suggestions to alleviate the pain. He said that one problem based on the number of hours a week I ride that I could just be suffering from some overuse which can cause some inflamation of the tissue behind the kneecap -- so take ibuprofen before a ride. He also recommended that I stretch out really good before and after I ride. Apparently many cyclist have stronger, tighter hamstrings in relation to the quads than the average person. This can cause some instability in the knee. It appears to be more of a flexibility problem than a strength problem so stretch thoroughly. He also told me to try moving my seat forward and up to take some pressure off the knee. So since I've done all of these things (ibuprofen, stretching, moving the seat forward and up), I haven't had any pain at all. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts