Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some knee pads and wondered if people had recomendations.

I ride mostly at Skeggs and stuff like it, and am planning on going to Demo a lot more this spring -- and I definitely ride both up and down, so I'm looking for something that's comfortable to pedal in addition to protection (I'd rather sacrifice some protection for comfort).

The 661 evos obviously seem to fit the bill, but I'm a student so I am hoping to find something more in the $50/60 range. I looked at the new Fox Launch guards, but they seem like they might be a little bulky to do lots of xc and climbing in.

Thanks in advance for any insight! :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Get the 661 Kyle Straits. The Fox Launch Pro or Troy Lee Designs T-Bone pads would fit the ticket as well. All of them are good for pedaling with and fit in your budget. You won't find anything less bulky that will actually protect your knees.

·
I dig trails!
5,604 Posts
Fox Launch are big, but also very comfortable. I've been riding XC this winter in them. Dunno if they will be too hot for summer. They feel like they will stay in place.

Haven't had a chance to check out the protection (knock on wood)

P

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
As others, I'd definitely say go for the soft pads. The comfort, packability and convenience make them not a chore to carry and wear. I can only speak for the Evo's and they've actually held up well. The rubberized 661 logo is smeared and scuffed away from falls to hardpack but no tears.
I even wear them on cold ascents as knee warmers. I swear I've seen the Evo knees down at $70, Universal maybe?

·
~~~
2,036 Posts
My wife said to me the other night, "Did you hurt yourself again??? I heard bandaging when you were in the bathroom."

Even though it's "part of mountain biking", over time, the cuts and scrapes I get from doing stupid ***** at places like Demo gets really old.

I ended up purchasing the 661 EVO Lites. I also have a set of Roach pads with the hard shell, but wanted some lightweight protection.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks, glad to hear there are decent pads in my price range (I wasn't able to find the evos for $70).

I think I'm going to try some on and see which ones fit. Do you think Trailhead in San Jose will carry a few different models?

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts

·
Pee's in the H8teraid
420 Posts
Kali Protectives.
I wear them all the time riding.
Have held up well over 1.5 yr.
Trailhead sells them.
Got mine there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Launch Pros are sort of bulky but at least you get full coverage protection.

They seem pretty comfortable considering what they are. But you have to make sure they don't slip down if you're pedalling a lot. Mine also have these huge laundry label thingies... they're so long they cover up the anti-slip rubber strips. I should probably cut them off...

The lighter ones with less protection don't seem like they'd be much more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i went to trailhead looking to buy a pair of 661 evo's, but i wasn't able to get them to fit comfortably (i'm 6', 155 lbs, so a bit on the skinny side). there was too much excess material bunching up on the sides. i ended up getting the kali protectives knee pads, and i've had them for about a year. they seemed to fit me the best, and i've had no issues w/ them so far--i wear them for pedalling up as well as down.

·
weekend worrier
562 Posts
I've been impressed with the Fox Launch Pro knee pads. Full knee protection, comfy, and they are articulated to fit the bend in the knee so they don't move up or down with pedaling. :thumbsup:

Haven't tried the 661 Evo Lites, but I used to run much cheaper 661 Veggie Wraps and they sucked -- kept sliding down and actually ripped at the seams on two of the sets I had. :(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts