Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing my first Enduro race this weekend and thinking it might be a good idea to throw on some knee protection. I'm a long time XC and endurance rider so this is all new to me. I like to pedal a lot so I'm looking for something minimal but yet provide some protection. Not too hot and comfortable for long climbs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have had IXS Flow Evo+ knee pads for the last year or so and I have been very happy with them. I regularly do 20 plus mile rides and they are very comfortable. No issues with them sliding down and they have saved me in a couple crashes.

https://ixs-sportsdivision.com/en/shop/flow-evo-knee-guard

I have also heard good things about the 7 iDP Sam Hill edition knee pads and the the TLD Raids but don't have personal experience with either yet.

https://7protection.com/us/product/sam-hill-knee/

https://shop.troyleedesigns.com/raid-knee-guard?color=7

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have both the Dainese Trail Skin 2 and IXS dagger knee pads. The Dainese are my daily drivers and have saved me a ton of pain. They're barely noticeable on climbs and breathe really well. The Daggers get worn when I'm doing more enduro style riding with fast downhills and the possibility for harder crashes. They're super protective, and, surprisingly, do really well on the climbs. I leave them off for the first climb of the day, but after that I don't bother taking them off. They are a little hotter than the Dainese, but not bad at all.

·
Registered
257 Posts
When I wanted to buy pads, I did a quick Google search and found this: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-lightweight-knee-pads-can-buy/2/

After reading that, I found some Bearsuit Light Pads on clearance and bought 'em. They are great, but they seem to be getting hard to find. Perhaps they're not importing them any longer? Anyway, once I tried the kneepads and liked them, I ordered the matching elbow pads. I don't like the elbow pads as much, as they feel like they want to slide down on my arms, where the kneepads feel very secure.

Anyway, just thought I'd toss these out as an option.

AM.

·
Demon Cleaner
783 Posts
I’m currently on IXS Carve+ and POC VPD 2.0 not a real fan of either. My next set will go up higher above the knee like the new Endura. Getting way to much chafing with the iXS and POC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I like the specialized atlas knee pads because they have a sleeve, like knee warmers, and go high up the thigh. The fit under my bibs and show no gaper gap.

There is some chafing sometimes just under the kneecap

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Surprised no one has mentioned G-Form yet. These have been the only pads I've found that fit my (admittedly oddly shaped) legs and stay up in a crash. I don't mind pedalling up in them, which is good because I wouldn't want to try to pull them on while sweaty.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got the new Alpinestars Paragon Plus pads as my first set of knee pads. Not as nicely made as say, Fox or POC pads I tried but they have been extremely comfortable on extended backcountry solo rides. Really affordable too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the G-form and POC System knee pads. Both offer excellent protection and are barely noticed when riding. The POC breathe a little better and I dont sweat quite as much. You can get the G form on sale now all over the web. A few places are selling the POC on sale as well now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree 150 was a bit much, however IMO for something I wear twice a week almost 40 weeks a year, it is worth it.
They are so comfy I may start wearing them for winter gravel rides as well for warmth and just in case. (Frozen gravel hurts)

They should last 5-8 years and more than pay for themselves in hospital visits.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.