Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at getting some 661 race knee/shin or 661 kyle strait knee pads. i like the idea of having shin protection but it seems like the kyle straits are really popular with everyone including the pros. Are the pros just saving weight or is there any reason to get one over the other?

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
the kyle straits are more "pro" cuz they are less pad.

that being said, i own both actually and use them both all the time.

the race are super nice wrap around, fit me well. light, but they dont pedal the best. i use them for all gravity induced entertainment.

the straits are super nice to pedal in, and u can just slide them down to ur shins if u really want to on a epic climb or something. i have used them for DH too but i seem to be good at kicking up rocks into my shins so that sucks.

also, i never put my snowboard boots on without putting the straits on first.
never knew how good of an idea it is to wear pads boarding. i fall soo many time more than biking.

but yeah, they are both sweet. so get both!

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I'm stingy with pads, but I make sure I always wear shin pads when doing some serious Downhill action. It's not just the pedals, but bushes, rocks, tree stumps, whatever smack your shins too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've got a pair of Dainese for DH. Knee shin combo that wrap around. They're great
to fight off branches, shrubs, etc for DH Lots of protection. I've got the 661 Kyle Straights
for dirt jumping. They fit awesome & so easy to pedal with, but offer no protection from getting shinned from a fresh set of platforms. I also use them for skiing. They fit right above
my boots, and keep my creaky knees warm:thumbsup:

·
Pin it
213 Posts
They don't bend at the knee very well, but if you un-do the top strap they aren't too bad. They tend to twist sometimes when pedaling too. I'll wear mine for short sections of climbing and flat, but I take them off for long climbs.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
I run the Straits for everything (they're great), and throw on a pair of wraparound shin protectors in addition for more serious DH/FR-type stuff (I use a neoprene model from LizardSkins with a hard plastic plate in the front - but also check out the new 661 shin wraps, they look like they should be nice as well). This combo works great (you can still pedal with all of it on) and has the advantage of being modular, so you can ditch the shinguards when feeling confident or just hitting the dirt jumps, and throw them back on when you need 'em.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
My brother broke his shin doing DH/FR. Now he wears it everytime if the terrain calls for it (anything more than XC/AM). Better safe than sorry, spending months (and $$$) rehabbing, assuming that they can fix your leg if you crash hard.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I've got both, and use both for different stuff. the knee/shin gets used for stuff where I'm not pedaling so much, such as lift-access stuff, or just doing a more hardcore shuttle where crashing probability increases (as I'm WAY more likely to gash a shin when I crash, as opposed to just riding along).

the straights get used for everything else. pedaling stuff, racing, DJing, and anything else where I don't need as much armor, or don't want to sweat through full armor.

I also have some 661 veggie wrap shins that I can velcro right onto the bottom of my kyle straights for extra protection without sacrificing pedalability. those are just hotter n hell to ride in though

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
A very wise point you made Cable0guy - I've nearly had my leg broken doing an xc/am ride by a surpisingly big rock flung up into my shin - horrible bone bruise that took many months to not hurt - and the likelyhood just goes up the more challenging the trail and the higher the speed....

I like the kyles and have used them a lot for dirt jumping (more flexible and I find when I go down dj'ing, they are enough protection) - for freeride I like the Roach Rally FR - they stay put and seem to do the job

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I wear my Strait's all the time, even when climbing. I can't count how many times I've spun out in a tech section and smashed my knee into the stem/bar/shifter. I don't wear the full knee-shin pads much unless I'm racing at Bootleg Canyon. My shins have enough scar tissue to qualify as their own padding :p

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
Beyond the lack of shin protection, the Strait's lack good knee protection too. The soft pad and super thin shell make for great freedom of movement, but can't take a hard blow from a rock or hard pack without really hurting. I normaly rock the 661 moto guards and the 661 Pad Locs, unless I'm wearing pants, then the Strait's go on because they're less bulky. I still sometimes rock the Strait's in shorts though, I've only had 3 bad crashes when I wished I had on the hard shell moto guards.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sorry if I'm the only one who feels this way, but it seems like the guy asking the question is comparing apples with oranges.
If you want to save your shins from pedals, rocks, forest objects, small animals, etc, get knee-shin ones. If you want to be less restricted, more breathable, and look like the "pros," get the Straits.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
I tried on and used some Kyle Straits for awhile. Didnt dig um at all.
In the end I went with TLD T Bones. More protection that Straits, but less than a full length pad.

I ride both flats and clipless. Use T bones for both.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.