Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Im going to be buying a titanium cassette fairly soon - and i'll be needing a new chain. Having owned and used an X9SL for over a year now i feel there amazing chains.

Is anyone running the 10 spd versions on 9spd drivetrains ? Feedback ?

Is there a decent weight difference between the two ?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Tiffster said:
Hi

Im going to be buying a titanium cassette fairly soon - and i'll be needing a new chain. Having owned and used an X9SL for over a year now i feel there amazing chains.

Is anyone running the 10 spd versions on 9spd drivetrains ? Feedback ?

Is there a decent weight difference between the two ?

Thanks
i'm using the KMC X10SL on ALL my bikes. Both on 9s (MTB) or 10s (Road) drivetrains.

I should get an even lighter chain these days..will post it here when it arrives.

KMC X9SL: 255g uncut
KMC X10SL: 238g uncut

Attachments

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
I just went to a KCM X10SL and DA 12-27 setup myself but only had one good ride before ice and snow set in. Initital report is that it shifted every bit as good as the 11-34 XTR cassette and XTR/DA 9-sp chain did, and weighs a fair amount less. Seems that most say durability is good, and once spring hits I'll find out myself.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for asking :rolleyes:

I know people run alot of things on here - i wanted to know if it works well though.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Tiffster said:
Having owned and used an X9SL for over a year now i feel there amazing chains.
You've been using the same chain on your bike for over a year?! How many miles do you think you've ridden? Do these chains last way longer than Sachs/Sram?

·
Weight Weenie Addict!
255 Posts
The 10-Speed KMC (same as Yaban and KCNC) works very good on 9-speed MTB setups. Nino 's hint at something better could be the recently released Yaban Titanium chain based on the X10SL design...should cut weight around 20-30 grams according to the manufacturer...Sorry Nino!, couldn't help it!!! BTW :D ...we are getting some test units next week...will see.

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
jmartpr said:
The 10-Speed KMC (same as Yaban and KCNC) works very good on 9-speed MTB setups. Nino 's hint at something better could be the recently released Yaban Titanium chain based on the X10SL design...should cut weight around 20-30 grams according to the manufacturer...Sorry Nino!, couldn't help it!!! BTW :D ...we are getting some test units next week...will see.
Supposedly 18g lighter than the X10SL with 110 links/ea as the comparison point:

http://www.yaban.com/Process?tag=prod_show_product&prod_key=74965
http://www.yaban.com/Process?tag=prod_show_product&prod_key=74804

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Curmy said:
Weather forecast for weekend:

Saturday
Clear
High 67° F | Low 36° F
19° C | 2° C

Sunday
Clear
High 68° F | Low 40° F
20° C | 4° C

:cool:
<------ Really Jealous

Saturday
High 31 F | Low 18 F
Winter Storm Warning,
Snow heavy at times
snow accumulating 4-6'' Saturday with additional accumulation on Sunday.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
This regards 9 speed drivetrains only:

I have used the X10SL and the X9SL, they are both great chain. I seemed to be getting premature wear and stretch with my X9SL and was getting them to snap on me after a shorter then normal use timeline. I then went with a X10SL and did not have any shifting issues. The X10SL also lasted longer. I eat through chains quickly no matter what the type. Yes I can get extra time out of the heavier beefier chains, but I still get them to die.

I am currently testing a newer version of the X9SL and I am pretty pleased. It so far is not having the same premature stretch issues that I have dealt with before. I will trying the newer X10SL shortly.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
How long do these chains last? Can anyone tell me how many miles/kilometers they have on them or how many months they used them before changing them?

1 - 20 of 118 Posts