Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read somewhere that the KMC chain is in the low 2s (220g or so). That seems pretty light when compared to SRAM's hollow pin stuff. Which one is it that they're talking about? Am I better off going which an XTR chain, also in the low 2s. Any thoughts out there? I want something reliable also, not just some ultra lightweight stuff that snaps when you sprint up a hill. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
KMC X10SL is the lightest non-titanium chain, at around 250g for 116 links. XTR/Dura Ace is close to 300g.

The strenght seems very good, but some people are not impressed with the durability.

Ole,

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
I've got a gold KMC X9SL and it shifts excellent with my 2x9 XTR rear and DA/Paul's Thumbies shifter up front. Lots of reports here and on the Starbike site about the 10s KMC chains snapping on people, FWIW.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
SL chains...

KMC X10 SL: 245g uncut (cut to lenght usually around 225g)
KMC X9 SL: 257g uncut (around 240g cut to lenght)

my experience is that they both shift absolutely flawless. also the 10s chain on 9s drivetrains.

durability of the silver ones is good. i have a gold one on my winterbike and it sucks! it has streched quite a bit in very short time. way more than the silver ones i used on my other bikes. i also hear reports of other guys using the golden ones with excessive wear! now they sell them saying the coating helps in durability...NOT SO!

i know that KMC had a series of bad hardened chains so i might have one of those...anyway - the silver 10s SL chains i used the last year worked great and durability was ok. a bit less than a Dura Ace but that's fine with me for the huge savings you get.

for the same durability than a Dura Ace chain get the regular KMC x10. it weighs just 266g uncut so it's already about 40g lighter than a regular shimano chain. and it's also much cheaper than the SLs

Attachments

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
My wippermann 9TR is 220 gr. full titanium.

Lasting well through the winter slush and salt think it will make summer and then some.

Shimano Cn 7701 was 300 plus gr and lasted well maybe two months through slush and salt.

Probably, 4 Cn7701s to one wipperman, I pay $Can40.00 going up to $50 vs $Can 360. so it costs me $120 to 160 for rotating savings of 80 gr. $2/g.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
nino said:
durability of the silver ones is good. i have a gold one on my winterbike and it sucks! it has streched quite a bit in very short time. way more than the silver ones i used on my other bikes. i also hear reports of other guys using the golden ones with excessive wear! now they sell them saying the coating helps in durability...NOT SO!
Nino, they're the same chains, one with coating. How could the gold ones stretch more? Coating is not going to make something stretch. The nitrate coating is probably just marketing hype, but no less durable than a silver chain.

I have the golds, they're running excellent, lot's of mud days, I clean after every ride or two.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
snowdrifter said:
Nino, they're the same chains, one with coating. How could the gold ones stretch more? Coating is not going to make something stretch. The nitrate coating is probably just marketing hype, but no less durable than a silver chain.

I have the golds, they're running excellent, lot's of mud days, I clean after every ride or two.
as mentioned above, i have several reports of other guys using the golden chains that had excessive wear. maybe they get heated up for the coating and that's what weakens them...??? maybe it was just one production run? i don't know. i never had such problems with my silver chains. i don't like gold either so for me the decision is clear anyway.

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
snowdrifter said:

I've only used the gold, after 10 months of intensive use (I forgot to change it at 6 months as I ussually do) it was 4 mm longer than the new one. The only sign of wear was that the gold in the rods turned into silver, which made a nice contrast.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Great chains and I think they are more durable than SRAM or Shimnao and stronger.

EDIT: I did snap a XTR/DA with out a problem. I once snapped a SRAM PC 99 HP.
2 yeras using KMC X9 SL GOLD on the MTB and X10 SL GOLD on the roadie. Now worse wear than SH or SRAM and I have YET to break one.

I use a X9 SL Silver on the wife's roadie and on my roadie commmuter. No issues.

Persoonally, it seems the GOLD Ti Nitrade helps in cassette wear. My cassettes seem to last a bit longer but the chains wear slighty, slighty faster. That's fine with me and no faster than Shimano or SRAM.

The Missing-link works as well as SRAM's Power-Link and these cost me less money.
Plus the GOLD chains add a little bling! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
hmmm so basically at will

DIRT BOY said:
I can snap a XTR/DA not problem. I once snapped a SRAM PC 99 HP.
2 yeras using KMC X9 SL GOLD on the MTB and X10 SL GOLD on the roadie. Now worse wear than SH or SRAM and I have YET to break one.

I use a X9 SL Silver on the wife's roadie and on my roadie commmuter. No issues.

Persoonally, it seems the GOLD Ti Nitrade helps in cassette wear. My cassettes seem to last a bit longer but the chains wear slighty, slighty faster. That's fine with me and no faster than Shimano or SRAM.

The Missing-link works as well as SRAM's Power-Link and these cost me less money.
Plus the GOLD chains add a little bling! :thumbsup:

you can snap a dura ace chain? amazing all these pro roadies and mtb'rs can ride
them then if dirt boy can snap them at will. some of the statements that go on here
are just amusing! i have to thank you all for my daily dose of entertainment.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
KMC X10 SL (gold and silver)

notenoughtime said:
I've read somewhere that the KMC chain is in the low 2s (220g or so).
Sorry for the poor picture quality..

I liked the performance of the silver (400+miles/minimal stretch) enough to purchase the more expensive gold offering..
I only have 80 miles, so durability and longevity is still unknown :thumbsup:

Jake

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
So let me get this straight - the KMC 9SL is the one to go for with 9Speed Shimano drive train?
Mind you I can't even find anywhere selling this chain in CA ! Nor can I find a price so that I can compare it to SRAM PC991 Hollow pin! Can anyone help??

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Dude, EBAY. search KMC X9SL, both silvers and golds available. 9 = 9spd 10 = 10spd Sick weight weenies use the 10 on a 9 to save a few grams. I'm not that sick, yet...

Get a silver 9.

I'm think sales.light-bikes.com carries KMC now.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
peabody said:
you can snap a dura ace chain? amazing all these pro roadies and mtb'rs can ride
them then if dirt boy can snap them at will. some of the statements that go on here
are just amusing! i have to thank you all for my daily dose of entertainment.
Not al will! Did I say that?:rolleyes: (EDIT: I did type my words wrong. But yes, I have always have had issues with Shimnao chains breaking. Lower lines have been worse. Maybe it's just me or bad luck. 5 Shimnao chains in all.)
I broke 2 XTR/DA and a SRAM HP. How? try too climb some svery short hills is not big/wrong gear. Chains all were at minimum length for BIB/BIG combo.

pro never snap them? I gues this is your smart a$$ post for the day right?

Sometimes you have nice insight here and others times this crap. :skep:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.