Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a NEW KMC singlespeed COLORED chain on my SS. The prior chain was a sram PC-1 that worked fine. When the new chain was installed it caused a loud clicking noise with each pedal rotation & you can feel it is not smooth at the pedals when pedaled. PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
How does your chainring and cog look? If the PC-1 was stretched a lot when you removed it then your ring and cog are possibly worn down on the front of the teeth to match the elongated chain, so a new, un-stretched chain won't fit properly anymore

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I believe the PC 1 was stretched alot. Rode it pretty steadily for over a year before replacing. Should I try another PC 1 or keep the KMC and wait untill it stretches? Will it ever stop making this annoying creak and feel smooth when pedaled OR do I need a new ring anc cassette. Its hard to tell the wear of the teeth by looking at them, I dont have a new one to compare it to.

·
Registered
434 Posts
there was another thread on this, but I also have been running a sram pc1 chain for years, and it was very quiet

I switched to kmc 610 3/32" chain a couple of months ago and was amazed how loud it was

after riding and I assume stretching it has quieted down, and alot of lubing :)...I think I am going back to the sram on my next chain

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
leonidas 119 said:
Yes I believe the PC 1 was stretched alot. Rode it pretty steadily for over a year before replacing. Should I try another PC 1 or keep the KMC and wait untill it stretches? Will it ever stop making this annoying creak and feel smooth when pedaled OR do I need a new ring anc cassette. Its hard to tell the wear of the teeth by looking at them, I dont have a new one to compare it to.
Look for a sharktooth pattern on the teeth of your ring and cog. Adjust your slider (or EBB) for the new (shorter) chain.

I use KMC. SRAM PC-1's wore out quickly or broke too often.

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
Sometimes a clicking sound is caused by the rivet being a little too far out if you installed the chain without a master link. The unsmooth feeling might also be that the chain is too tight in the dropouts or like what everybody else said; just worn out.

PC-1 in my experience are not very strong. I finally shelled out $60 for a D.I.D. track chain (they're certified for strength). I hope it lasts over a year.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
leonidas 119 said:
Your chainring and cog are worn out that is why the creaking noise which will wear out your new chain fast.

doco said:
there was another thread on this, but I also have been running a sram pc1 chain for years, and it was very quiet

I switched to kmc 610 3/32" chain a couple of months ago and was amazed how loud it was

after riding and I assume stretching it has quieted down, and alot of lubing :)...I think I am going back to the sram on my next chain
Chain, chainring and cog all wear in together.........replace them all at the same time or you'll have problems like this.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
If you are careful to measure the chain for wear on a normal basis you can catch it at a decent point and only have to replace the chain. Do this well and you may be able to get multiple chains worth of life out of the same cog and ring on an SS. Ignore it and you will have to spend more to replace them all, although at longer intervals

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
If you're running a bashguard and the masterlink with the sliding retention clip, you may have the masterlink backwards and the pin is "ticking" against the bashguard.

·
Registered
590 Posts
It's the weakest link in this case. That being the one who put a new chain on a worn out rings.

Cheapest way to live is to keep an eye on chain wear and replace the chain BEFORE it damages the rings. I've been able to stretch ring an cog life for over 3 years just by keeping everything clean lubed and replaceing chains.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I had the same problem with the KMC!! I talked to the shop owner and he said the one thing that stinks about that chain is that it makes a little noise. Drove me crazy so i got rid of it and went with a sram 8 speed. Problem solved too!!!

leonidas 119 said:
I installed a NEW KMC singlespeed COLORED chain on my SS. The prior chain was a sram PC-1 that worked fine. When the new chain was installed it caused a loud clicking noise with each pedal rotation & you can feel it is not smooth at the pedals when pedaled. PLEASE HELP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.