Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

KMC 8.93 Quicklink failure

615 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Raybum 
Interesting. I use the same chain on my geared bikes and I just checked a couple worn ones that came off my bikes at the end of last season. The quick link in those chains also have the same grooves worn into them, but it doesn't appear to be nearly as deep as the ones shown in your picture. I can feel it when I run my fingernail across it, I can't really see any differences in thickness or a ridge or anything on the edge of the groove. The groove is a nice polished area and I can feel the edges of it with my fingernail, but that's about it. It also feels like one side of the quicklink is worn more than the other, but I have no idea which way the chain & quicklink was installed on my bike before so it doesn't really help.

A question: You mention that you have a whole bunch of of quicklinks in your toolbox. Are you reusing old quicklinks with new chains or using the fresh link that comes with a new chain?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.