Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the final stages of building up my dinglespeed. Using a KMC 410 chain, and when I have it all set up right, the master link clicks/catches on the other cog each time around (I'm using 2 Salsa chainrings up front, and 2 Dimension cogs at the back)

Basically the pins of the master link are too long, allowing the plates on the link to go wider than the rest of the links, by about 1mm. Would this be solved by a new master link? Or should I go and find a 3/32 chain like the KMC 610 or other suggestions?

Sorry for all the questions the past couple days- this is my first bike build and am trying to get it right.
Thanks.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
knucklesandwich said:
In the final stages of building up my dinglespeed. Using a KMC 410 chain, and when I have it all set up right, the master link clicks/catches on the other cog each time around (I'm using 2 Salsa chainrings up front, and 2 Dimension cogs at the back)

Basically the pins of the master link are too long, allowing the plates on the link to go wider than the rest of the links, by about 1mm. Would this be solved by a new master link? Or should I go and find a 3/32 chain like the KMC 610 or other suggestions?

Sorry for all the questions the past couple days- this is my first bike build and am trying to get it right.
Thanks.
Normally one would not use a chain with a old style master link on a muti-speed drive train. I would recommend either an 8 speed chain or one of KMC's 7/8 or 6/7 speed chains. They usually come with 2 styles of master link; one for SS and one for multi-speed.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...pe=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Chains

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...pe=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Chains

1G1G, Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.