Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The annual Kaibab Monstercross endurance rides will be held on June 13th of 2009, in the usual place. Start for the classic 130 miler will be 0500; start for the new 200 miler will be 0300.

The race blog and all relevant info can be found here.

The KMC 130 is a fine loop on the north rim of the Grand Canyon, featuring sublime singletrack, gravel roads of all persuasions, and a single mile of pavement. Climbing is something on the order of 15,000 feet. Thus far only four people have finished the loop, with Dave Harris holding the course record of 11 hours and change.

New for this year is the KMC 200. This will add more singletrack, more pavement, more gravel grinding, more suffering, and so forth. The 200 course is also designed to steer far enough from civilization that resupplying is a logistical demotivator. Locating water will be crucial.

These are serious adventure rides, will an intense yet laid-back atmosphere. The post-race BBQ has been a highlight every year.

It is also a totally self-supported event. For clarification, please read the "rules" page at the bottom of the blog. Thus far the integrity and responsibility of every rider has resulted in an excellent relationship with the Forest Service, and continuing this relationship is of the highest importance.

It is the time of year to set goals, and get motivated.

Hope to see new faces in 2009.

Cheers,
Dave C.

PS
If anyone wants a collectible KMC 2009 flyer to display on their fridge or at their LBS or pub, shoot me a PM.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
I'm definitely in for one of the two.....most likely the 200.

Soo.......are the rules specifically stating "no sleeping".....as in no bivy gear? That adds an awesome level of commitment....especially given the 3am start time. I can't wait!

B

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Oh, wow.

You're a brave and sick man.

0300 start... hmm. Riding those sweet miles of AZT in the dark would kinda be a shame. But... sunrise over the Vermillion cliffs as you turn to descend the final switchbacks to the stateline TH.... yeah, I could be into that.

Great job D. The world needs more people that think like this.

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
ionsmuse said:
The annual Kaibab Monstercross endurance rides will be held on June 13th of 2009, in the usual place. Start for the classic 130 miler will be 0500; start for the new 200 miler will be 0300.
200 miles - that's a lot to bite off in a day.

GPX is done. Looks most interesting. UT border to the GC, I like that. The nasty climb at ~ 120 on the 130 route is not in the 200 route, that's nice. Lot's more east side game road. More canyon views.

But really, 200 miles in a day? Will anyone finish the 200 and make it back in time for the BBQ?? This is the loooming question. That group BBQ is a helluva carrot.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
hairball_dh said:
But really, 200 miles in a day? Will anyone finish the 200 and make it back in time for the BBQ?? This is the loooming question. That group BBQ is a helluva carrot.
That's my main concern as well.....getting back in time for ice cream and chocolate milk.

Which would be the bigger dissappointment....missing the BBQ or not finishing the course? Tough call.

B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.