Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Was hoping to lengthen my chain 1/2 link, so that I can rotate my EBB a bit further.....installed the KMC 1/2 link for 3/32 chain, but the pin seems to be too long and if I drive it in further the link gets stiff.
Also I'm concerned that since the pin ends aren't "mushroomed", is it possible for the pin to fall out ?

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
The problem isn't the long pin on the KMC half link, that works fine, the problem will be trying to join the small end into your chain. The problem is, it's simply too wide. Here's the solution:

Order two of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013CVW56/ref=oss_T15_product

And one of these in 3/32:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=22297

Then simply use the two KMC master links to join the Gusset half link into your chain. Make sure the flat side of the Gusset half link faces away from the teeth. It's easy, works seamlessly, and is very durable. The only downside is it costs a little more, but quality usually does, and I always order several at a time to save on shipping.

The KMC master links in the link above is nickel plated and very nicely made, unlike most BMX style master links. They'll also digest any half link out there while still working nicely with a multispeed chain. I highly recommend them. By the way, the Amazon vendor I listed above is about the only place I've found them available separately, and the price is great.

The Gusset half link is another quality product. The entire thing is nickel plated, unlike most half links. They also sell it already joined to a set of inner plates, the reason being they can peen the ends of the pin for extra strength. Also, unlike other half links, the Gusset is the superior bushingless design. It's vastly superior to the KMC half link.

P.S. - Yup, I have this posted save on my computer so I don't need to write it up every time.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys and yeah wish I would have seen "bad mechanics" reply on similar thread prior to ordering / trying the KMC 1/2 link.
Gonna go the gusset slink route you suggested.

Much Appreciated !

·
Registered
641 Posts
Surfdog93 said:
'Was hoping to lengthen my chain 1/2 link, so that I can rotate my EBB a bit further.....installed the KMC 1/2 link for 3/32 chain, but the pin seems to be too long and if I drive it in further the link gets stiff.
Also I'm concerned that since the pin ends aren't "mushroomed", is it possible for the pin to fall out ?
If you have a chain tool, the inner part of it is for removing stif links. You push the pin through futher than required, and then use the inner part of the tool to push the pin back - this also brings the outer plate with it, and so frees the roller.

http://bicycletutor.com/stiff-chain-link/

I was also having difficulty with the KMC half link. It seemed that there was too much of a gap betweeen the plates, so the roller was free to move too much. This resulted in a noticable clunk when I was pedalling, and the half link passed over the sprocket.

I was able to eliminate this, by pressing the plates of the halflink together, at the roller, in a vice. This reduced the gap at the roller.

Once put back together, it actually fitted better on the chain, and the clunk was gone. I'll be trying a Slink next time though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
bad mechanic said:
- It's 1/8", which just isn't needed on a mountain bike.
- It's heavy.
- Chances are, it's lower quality than a multispeed chain.
Yes, it's heavier but it will never break on you. BMX guys grind concrete on this chain and it doesn't fail. A single speed MTB doesn't need that strong a chain but it will never fail on you, is high quality, affordable and comes with a half link already installed so there is no fiddling around.

Didn't mean to make a faux pas, just offering an easy and inexpensive solution. My bad.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
pwh4130 said:
Yes, it's heavier but it will never break on you. BMX guys grind concrete on this chain and it doesn't fail. A single speed MTB doesn't need that strong a chain but it will never fail on you, is high quality, affordable and comes with a half link already installed so there is no fiddling around.
1/8" doesn't mean it's stronger, there's simply more material to grind away before it fails. Here it is straight from Surly:

1/2x1/8" chains vs. 1/2x3/32" chains. 1/2x1/8" chains suck. Run whatever you want, but bigger isn't better here. Yeah, they're wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they're not stronger and they are definitely not of better quality. Multi-speed drivetrains is where the bucks are at, and chains that work on such drivetrains are where the manufacturers of chains showcase their innovations and developments in quality. The rollers are better, the plates are better, the pins are stronger, and the construction method (riveting procedure) is better on all multi-speed 3/32" chains. I guess if you grind your chainring and chain down the handrail every night at the local pub, a bigger 1/2x1/8 " chain will last longer, but most of us don't and it won't.​

·
Registered
641 Posts
MyName1sMud said:
My God it seems like this is going to be harder than I thought it was going to be when I ordered my conversion kit yesterday.
You won't need a half link, if you're going to use a tensioner (as per your other thread).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.