Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pulled the trigger and am finally ordering a Karate Monkey. I have an XTR crankset I want to use to run this puppy SS. What spindle lenght do you use? It's a 20" frame and old XTR cranks (952's) thanks for the input, I'll post when I'm done.

Winky

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Winky said:
I've pulled the trigger and am finally ordering a Karate Monkey. I have an XTR crankset I want to use to run this puppy SS. What spindle lenght do you use? It's a 20" frame and old XTR cranks (952's) thanks for the input, I'll post when I'm done.

Winky
You've really only got 2 choices (not factoring a Dura Ace bb set into the mix which is 109mm). For a 47.5mm chainline, you'll be using the 112.5mm length. For a 50mm chainline, you'll want the 116mm length. Run the shortest you can get away with - especially on a single speed - for the narrowest q-factor.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Yup.

I have a monkey with the same drivetrain you are describing. I am using a 112.5 with the ring in the outer postion. This leaves tons'o clearance between the ring and stay. You could definitely go with one of shitmano's 109 road BB's. When I replace my current 112.5, that's what I'm planning on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts