Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was messing around this arvo with my as-yet-to-roll Karate Monkey and thought id try the cyclocross look with some Ultegra road cranks.

Oops.

The chainring tabs hit the chainstays. Has anyone managed to work this one? As an aside, the 73mm bb shell doesnt let enough spindle through the bb to let the nondriveside crank clamp on either. :mad:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well from what I understand the KM's max chaing ring size is 48 tooth. Most MTB cranks have a wider offset than a road crankset. You may be able to get the ultegra cranks to work but you will need aa wide bb spindle. Now if this is a older square taper bb, you can easily find a longer spindle. If it is a newer Octalink BB it still maybe possiable to find the correct BB it will just take a bit more searching. So it is possiable it will just take a bit of searching, my guess is that you would need a 118mm BB to start.
Good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was able to get an octalink 105 crankset to clear, but only by using a 118mm XTR bottom bracket, and putting the 39t ring on the outside of the tabs (using with 1x8 setup). Sounds like with the hollowtech II's, you're out of luck.

Fatties fit fine, but not chainrings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.