Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there running a Karate Monkey rigid fork (or any other rigid fork built for 29" wheels) on a 1x1 (or similar) frame? If so, how does it affect the handling? I like the stock fork on the 1x1, but I'd like to put the front end of the bike up a little higher because it feels "twitchy" at the current fork length, and also get the BB height up a little bit.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
A few weeks ago there was a thread that had a picture of a guy doing it in a 24hr race. I think it was an Airborne frame and fork. Totally doable, the only real concern is what happens to the geometry. A 29er fork with little suspension correction might work out well on a suspended corrected 26er frame.

I've been kinda thinking of trying something like this myself. It brings back memories of all those east coast bikes with the 24" rears and the 26" fronts.

Good luck
cheers

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Why not just use an Instigator fork? From what I understand, they're damned close to, if not the same length, and you can still use the canti studs if you're into that kinda thing...

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good idea

~martini~ said:
Why not just use an Instigator fork? From what I understand, they're damned close to, if not the same length, and you can still use the canti studs if you're into that kinda thing...
Actually, that seems to make pretty good sense - the 1x1 fork is 413mm axle to crown, the Instigator fork is 447mm axle to crown, and the KM fork is 468mm axle to crown. I think an one additional inch of fork length (as opposed to 2 additional inches) would get me where I want to go. Thanks!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts