Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing all the nice klunkers in:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=154717&highlight=klunker I've got the itch. Rather than search CL or Ebay, are there any new cruiser type bike that are convertible? Here are my limited requirements: It has to be steel and a der hanger sure would help. I want it to be a 6 or 7 sp. At one time Trek made a steel frame 7 sp cruiser that would have been perfect. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim

·
IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
1,493 Posts
personally i think if you're going to build a klunker you should go all the way and do it period correct. 1930's Schwinn frame (Excelsior is best) with late 1970's road, motorcycle and BMX parts. thats how i built mine and it's super fun. people dig the history lesson too when you explain it to people. i race mine downhill so it's a fairly strong build. i do however need a stem that grips the bars better.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
CS2 said:
After seeing all the nice klunkers in:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=154717&highlight=klunker I've got the itch. Rather than search CL or Ebay, are there any new cruiser type bike that are convertible? Here are my limited requirements: It has to be steel and a der hanger sure would help. I want it to be a 6 or 7 sp. At one time Trek made a steel frame 7 sp cruiser that would have been perfect. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim
A Klunker needs an old frame and lots of sweat and labor in making all the old, not-so-great-working, incompatible parts work together. Otherwise there are lots of modern cruisers to be had.

·
Registered
936 Posts
stem

Veloculture said:
personally i think if you're going to build a klunker you should go all the way and do it period correct. 1930's Schwinn frame (Excelsior is best) with late 1970's road, motorcycle and BMX parts. thats how i built mine and it's super fun. people dig the history lesson too when you explain it to people. i race mine downhill so it's a fairly strong build. i do however need a stem that grips the bars better.

Try a tuf neck. I may have a beater laying around.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Aluminum cruiser frames with der hangers are easier to find than steel ones (Diamondback Voyager, Giant Simple 7, etc). However, the klunkers I've seen in pics have internal gear hubs or derailleurs that bolt to a horizontal dropout (no hanger).

An authentic Klunker with cast iron cranks, etc will likely weigh 40-50 lbs. That's OK if you just want to use it as a cruiser.

If you want to ride trails with it (other than downhill), you will need to compromise some authenticity with a lighter cruiser frame and more modern components.

Check out the "Official Cruiser Thread" in this vintage forum, and you will get tons of ideas.

It's your money and sweat. What you like is more important than what we like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.