Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im thinking about bying a mates 1996 Klien Atitude but it has Rock Shox Judy xc's that are shot the problem is it has the very oversized head tube Airhead i think it's called so was wondering how it works and could i fit other forks such as a 80mm Magura Durin.
Also would the frame handle a 80mm fork as it was designed for 2"-2.5" 80mm is about 3"'s.
Also would it be ok to enlarge the rear cable exit to run a Magura Hs33 though the frame?

Cheers for any info Dan :thumbsup:

·
He be a moose too.
2,174 Posts
I believe that Judy's are still made. Rockshox Sid's also work well, which is what I have on my 96 Attitude. Take a look here on how to install them. I'm not aware of other suspension forks that will fit the crown but there might be one. You can always rebuild the Judy with Englund air cartridges, springs, etc (on ebay) or pick up a better condition Judy, they're out there.

The bike will handle well with an 80 mm Sid. The sid had a higher profile crown vertically than a 63 mm. Judy, which is a flatter crown, so it turns out that once you use the Sid lower in a Judy crown, it will work out quite well if you do the dremel tool thing in the link.

You could always get 1 1/8" headtube reducers and use a conventional fork/stem/bar setup but I'm not real big on that sort of thing myself. It's a vintage Klein, keep it cool, IMHO.

I wouldn't enlarge the rear cable exit myself.

G

·
swapping out the lowers would only work if the Judy that's in there has the bolted-on legs (2 bolts at each side of the crown that clamp the lower tubes). it is likely but not a given. something to check before you buy. if so you can put in any lower that have the same diameter. i would be careful though as i am not sure if the tire could hit the bottom of the flat Judy crown if the fork is designed for a taller crown.

you can occasionally find 70mm (?) Manitou forks with the Klein specific steerer which were made for the later Adroits and Mantras. those would work as well but swapping out the forks is not an easy DIY job so you may want an experienced dealer to do it. there are plenty of threads on this topic, do a search.

Carsten

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.