Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get an authentic history of the fabled Kleiningham.... when was that phrase first coined and by whom?
Are there do's and don'ts when making a K'ham?
What percentage of Ham-like material has to go into the build to avoid fakery?
Can you have other hybrid Hams... HamDales anyone?

Mr K

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Since its a coined phrase and not an official bike, here is my definition of it.

Kleiningham, ideally, is a Klein that came from the factory in the 'raw' finish. They are most likely bikes sold out of Point Reyes Bikes and were built to mimic that of a Cunningham, but at a price point more people could afford. Proper builds would consist of mostly WTB components.

The Kleiningham I have/had was full XT with WTB roller cams front and rear, fillet brazed Salsa fork, IRD post, MA40 roll downs. It came from Pt Reyes Bikes.
Others I've seen have similar builds with perhaps different forks, different hubs. etc.

The Fillet-brazed coined Kleiningham:

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Since its a coined phrase and not an official bike, here is my definition of it.

Kleiningham, ideally, is a Klein that came from the factory in the 'raw' finish. They are most likely bikes sold out of Point Reyes Bikes and were built to mimic that of a Cunningham, but at a price point more people could afford. Proper builds would consist of mostly WTB components.

The Kleiningham I have/had was full XT with WTB roller cams front and rear, fillet brazed Salsa fork, IRD post, MA40 roll downs. It came from Pt Reyes Bikes.
Others I've seen have similar builds with perhaps different forks, different hubs. etc.

The Fillet-brazed coined Kleiningham:
the one veloculture found is still the best Kleiningham ever discovered. ;)

Sky, do you still have it? Probably would have been tempting to part some of it out with all those cool parts.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Kleiningham parameters:

Mountain Klein or Pinnacle with chainstay brakes.
Judicious use of WTB components.
A roller-cammed Type II would be a very nice touch.
No CNC'd cranks. Specialized forged would be ideal.
Drop bars would be nice, but flat bars with the right stuff would do.

Here's one I brought back to life a while back.

And as chance would have it, there is another raw Klein in the stand right now that is getting a new Type II (roller-cams, natch) and new custom Potts stem. Final photos when it's ready.

·
Registered
268 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.