Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this at a police auction and don't know exactly what it is. More importantly take a look at the exit holes for the break cabling, what piece do I need to get this cabled properly and does anyone know where I can find it (Denver, CO or Online). I'm wanting to put v-breaks on it ideally. The cable for the rear derailleur was obviously installed incorrectly as it rubs against the frame (was like this when I bought it). I have also included the following measurements if that helps anyone with identification:
  • Center of bottom bracket to top of seat tube: 43cm (17in)
  • Center of bottom bracket to center of top tube: 33.5cm (13.25in)
  • Top tube length: 52cm (20.5in)
  • Down Tube: 60cm (23.75in)
  • Center of bottom bracket to rear axle center on drop-outs: 42.5cm (16.75in)
  • Rear axle center to seat tube (essentially the seat stay length): 41.75cm (16.5in)

·
He be a moose too.
2,174 Posts
It's a Klein Pinnacle, size small, and I'm sure that if it came from a police auction, you got a superb deal on it. The tubing that is needed for the cables is 1/8" nylon tubing. This is an industrial product that an engineering friend might have, alternatively you can get 3 tubes at $5/piece from your Klein/Trek dealer. Putting V-brakes is probably a bad idea on this, stick with canti's as the frame was designed for it and unless you have an adapter for it (which you don't and they are hard to find), cantis are the way to go.

The tubing part#: 62089, that the dealer needs to order this. You absolutely must have this or else you'll saw the frame with the cables. I wouldn't use the bike until you get these and I'd replace the cables & housings also. You'll be happier with it that way. Do a little digging about the Pinnacle on this list, there will be plenty of info and it's been well covered how to thread the nylon tubes and cables through the frame.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Apparently even stolen Kleins must sport slicks (long running jokes about Kleins). Nice find though. I imagine you got it for a steal. You could always kick it up to Ebay with an international shipping option and make 84574945792 times what you paid for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick replies... Does the 1/8" nylon tubing have a metal core? Also the little cable guide that comes off the seat post doesn't have any inner rim to hold the housing back on either end (it looks as though 1/8" tubing would go right though it... The cable holder (for lack of better term) coming off the seat post looks a bit different then that found on other pictures of a the Pinnacle on this site, does this mean it's a different model or did it vary year to year? How do I run the cable in this holder for even a canti type brake? What are your thoughts on this v-brake adapter http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...s&sc=Brake&tc=Cable-Hangers&item_id=JW-NZ148B ? Also is the tubing part# 62089 for the 1.8" tubbing or something different? Also I'm having a hard time finding a description on how to thread the brake line on the forum, I must be searching with the wrong terms or something, if you happen to know a specific post, a link would be appreciated. I believe I got a fairly good deal on it (it was $200 for a lot of five bikes, it included this one, a 721A Miyata and three other junk bikes). Don't expect to see this on eBay any time soon.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
jacdykema said:
Apparently even stolen Kleins must sport slicks (long running jokes about Kleins). Nice find though. I imagine you got it for a steal. You could always kick it up to Ebay with an international shipping option and make 84574945792 times what you paid for it.
Right! :D

G

·
some pics to explain the cable routing and what the teflon liner does (it essentially guides the cable and prevents the cable from cutting into the frame). the shifter cable should leave the frame in a straight line towards the guide on the underside of the bb shell. in order to run vbrakes on the read you would have to drill the cable outlet hole larger and run the outer cable from the vbrake through the frame to the inlet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.