Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I know most of you know this but I can't believe how many Klein bikes I see on ebay with "pre-trek" in the title. There was nothing wrong with Klein's produced under Trek's watch in the 90's and early 00's, Trek got rid of the press in b.b. (which if you worked at a Klein dealer during that time was not fun!) and also introduced the 1 1/8 headset for Klein.
The Mantra would have never seen daylight without Treks money, Gary was low on funds and just couldn't continue with the Mantra development, (did you know that the first Mantra pro used a klein made rear shock that used Linseed oil for dampning?). No folks, Klein only made it too the new century because of Trek, without them it would have died along with bright neon clothing and 3 inch downhill forks.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
My pressed in BB and Headset are still going strong after a solid 10 years. Funny how Cannondale now uses a press in BB on their high end crap with SI cranks, they act like they're cutting edge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it is kind of funny, c'dale likes to set themselves apart eve if it means reusing past technology.

The press in b.b. and to a lesser exent the headsets where bothersome because of the wait while the threadlock set up. If you needed service you had to plan ahead because you couldn't touch it while it was setting up. Ahh..all those "What do you mean it's not ready? I have a group ride right after work and need that bike!..Sorry, but the threadlock has to set up, she'll be all set by tomorrow morning..ah, no sir, I am not making this up."

Those where the days!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.