Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hey there
I have a Klein Comp Mtn Bike from Uni days (1991-1994). Purchased personally in Canada (Hamilton Ont) and I am in Australia now. I am sadly selling due to a bad broken leg injury.
I have had purchasers tell me it is not a Klein that the cables on ALL Kleins were built in. I know what I bought from a reputable shop. Was there any Kleins built with the cable on the outside or was I ripped off nearly 25 years ago.
Serial number is K 000495 / 4330 23
Love your insight people!
Sorry to hear about your leg. Best wishes for good healing.

You are going to need five years added to your Uni days. Actual Klein never had a Comp model and never had exposed cables on the bikes. After Trek took over at the end of 95 they tried all sorts of cost cutting methods including confusing naming structure, tubing down grading and external cables. I believe they had external cables from 97 or 98 - 2000, I can confirm the exact years this evening.

·
He be a moose too.
2,161 Posts
Shoo is correct. Your buyers are wrong, it is a Klein but it's more commonly called a "Trek Klein". Trek changed the models as Shoo describes in the 97 model year. They owned Klein in 96 but didn't make substantive changes to the bikes as things were already in the pipeline when they took over.

As far as the serial number from Trek Kleins, as I don't think anyone has documented what is what for them and can't date it via SN. If you really want to know the year, it might help to show pictures of the bike and possibly the components, if original, can indicate the year.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts