Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I know at least some of you guys here have a road bike so I thought I’d float this out also with a MTB question too.

I recently picked up an abandoned bike from my school for free called a Klein quantum it’s got a super cool paint job and Dura Ace components. It looks like a special bike at least for it’s time I was wondering what you guys would think this thing is worth? it was built in Wisconsin according to its aluminum plaque. The bike is basically brand new save for a rusty chain (it was underneath a pool in a service area very hot and humid). Everything is dura ace save for right shifter and breaks which are tiagra and Ultegra respectively. Super nice shape for how old it looks still has a shiny rear cassette.
What do you think this thing is worth?

Also next question pertaining to DT Swiss 360 hubs. My trance came with their dwl hubs which are just rebranded Dt 360’s I want to increase the engagement in the hub since it is a little poor with one 23 POE I was just wonder if upgrading from the original 22 tooth ratchet to the 54 tooth is worth the 100 bucks plus labor to install.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
No need what so ever for 54t on a road bike, especially for the cost IMO. But if you want to go ahead. No need to pay for labor. The freehub pulls off by hand. Remove old ratchets. Install new ratchets with supplied grease. Should not take more than 2 minutes or 3 minutes.

·
Sneaker man
3,664 Posts
Hey guys I know at least some of you guys here have a road bike so I thought I'd float this out also with a MTB question too.

I recently picked up an abandoned bike from my school for free called a Klein quantum it's got a super cool paint job and Dura Ace components. It looks like a special bike at least for it's time I was wondering what you guys would think this thing is worth? it was built in Wisconsin according to its aluminum plaque. The bike is basically brand new save for a rusty chain (it was underneath a pool in a service area very hot and humid). Everything is dura ace save for right shifter and breaks which are tiagra and Ultegra respectively. Super nice shape for how old it looks still has a shiny rear cassette.
What do you think this thing is worth?

Also next question pertaining to DT Swiss 360 hubs. My trance came with their dwl hubs which are just rebranded Dt 360's I want to increase the engagement in the hub since it is a little poor with one 23 POE I was just wonder if upgrading from the original 22 tooth ratchet to the 54 tooth is worth the 100 bucks plus labor to install.

Thanks
Worth...depends what era Klein it is, a Klein Klein, worth the most, a transistion Klein (Trek buyout but still made at Klein buy Klein guys) worth a bit, Trek Klein, worth the least. All still great bikes though.

But yeah, a picture is what you want.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Hey guys I know at least some of you guys here have a road bike so I thought I'd float this out also with a MTB question too.

I recently picked up an abandoned bike from my school for free called a Klein quantum it's got a super cool paint job and Dura Ace components. It looks like a special bike at least for it's time I was wondering what you guys would think this thing is worth?
Worth...depends what era Klein it is, a Klein Klein, worth the most, a transistion Klein (Trek buyout but still made at Klein buy Klein guys) worth a bit, Trek Klein, worth the least. All still great bikes though.

But yeah, a picture is what you want.
"super cool paint" sounds Klein Klein... take pics and ask again here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/official-what-worth-thread-wiw-856050-11.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I haven't been able to reply on my phone for a while getting a error not allowing me to view anything on my phone.

Anyways The 54t isn't for the Klein its for my Giant Trance Advanced 0.
When I took of the Cassette the pawls stay connected to the driver and the ratchets stay stuck in the hub body. Is there any special tools I need to remove the ratchets? Giant's service manual states you need to heat the hub and use a slide hammer to remove them. Is this correct? Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bike was owned by one of our cycling clubs that got disbanded in 2008 or so and they just left them under a pool most are broken or just poor quality to start with I had to rebuild the hub and change all of the cables since they were supper rusted due to humidity

I will take better phots once I wash it up just haven't had the time
and Find a better photos that actually upload

Attachments

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
That Klein would be from 2003- to when Klein closed shop. I had an '02 Adept Pro, same color, that was the last frame ordered from Klein before they moved in-house with Trek.

My '02 says "Made in Chehalis Washington" on it.

That color is called "Plum Crazy". During the day the color will change. Blue/purple is one combo. Bronze/gold is another mix. This was sometimes a stock color for their bikes, depending on the model year. If it wasn't the stock color for that year, it was a $250 upgrade to get a custom paint job by them.

This is how Trek started the "Project One" custom bike program, Fwiw.

Side story When I was looking at Klein, they were just getting ready to move in with Trek that week. The rep offered me a good deal on it so it didn't have to get shipped to Trek. He said it was a custom paint job but it got canceled and was sitting there for a week. The frame retailed for $2,000 and the custom paint added $250 to it
He offered it for $1,500. I wanted to think about it since the '03 had carbon seatstays. When I got home 20 minutes later, the bike shop left me a message "We ordered the Klein. The rep called us back and told us $1,050. It's on its way. If you don't want it, we'll sell it!". That's my Klein story. Lol!

Ttyl, Fahn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys the bike has actually been sold to the pros closet they were willing to cut me a pretty decent deal so I decided to take it they should be posting the bike pretty soon and it'll up for sale to who ever wants it. I also found a beautiful 1997 Merlin Titanium which is in great condition from the same club. I am holding onto this one as it is just a work of art the welds are amazing and it reminds me of a mustang fighter from WWII that awesome shine.

I sent a request over to TPC to see what it would go for if it was in working condition but they said they are fully stocked and wouldn't give me a quote until a couple months. Its pretty sweet the only shame is that its full campagnolo Chorus which is a pain since it doesn't have a campy rear cassette which means its shifts terribly.

I will post some pictures soon this one is in much worse shape than the Klein though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.