Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike gurus:

Wondering how much you would pay for a Klein Pulse Pro bike (1996)? Components include (as best I can recall right now): Race Face cranks, bars, stem, and seat post, Manitou Mach 5 fork, Shimano XTR hubs with Mavic X 517 rims, Shimano XT side pull brakes, Shimano SPD pedals, ESP 9.0 rear derailleur, Grip shifts. Frame is extremely clean - no scratches, dings, or dents. Love the way the bike handles - set up very well - just don't have a great handle on value of a bike this vintage. I appreciate any help or advice you may have!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The Pulse frames were made in Wisconsin by Trek so they don't hold the value that the Chehalis, WA made frames do. They lack the double pass welds and internal cable routing. They are still good frames but not really collectible (much like the Wisconsin made Bontrager Privateers).

They originally went for about $1300 so a 12 year old bike with a fork that has long since been obsolete...$150-200 is the most I'd pay

·
Registered
566 Posts
I agree with the above post but I think something in the $200-$300 range is not out of the question. It could always be a bit more or less, however. Throw it up on Ebay and see what she fetches (place a wicked high reserve or something)...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response, guys. I thought the Pulse Pro was still made by Klein (WA), but I defer to you. The fellow selling says that the Race Face components, wheels, etc. cost him a few thousand....does that seem right? With the components listed, only $200-$300? If that is right, I'll have to adjust my original thinking on the value. Thanks!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Nope, look at the welds and the cable routing...dead giveaway. The rear triangle was actually made in Chehalis, but sent to Wisconsin and everything was welded up there.

As far as the investment into components...The Race Face stuff and wheelset might have run 1K...but that was many years ago and the rest of the components you list are stock. Its still a 12 year old bike with an unserviceable fork (and not a good one anyway).

How much is he asking?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He was thinking a few times more than what you guys are suggesting (closer to a grand, actually). I knew the drawback was the old fork, side pull brakes, and general age. Though the frame is a nice design, it is 12-13 years old. Like everyone, when you sell a bike you can only think of what you paid and put into it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, I'd pay no more than $300 for any Pulse provided it was in really great shape.

For 1 grand, I'd be looking for an old school collectible Adroit. If you wanted newer, I'd look at a Palomino (FS) or a new-ish Attitude with discs and a good fork. As nice as Kleins are, they are not heavily sought after on eBay... you can sometimes pick a nice one up for cheap online.

·
Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
552 Posts
to Klein or not to Klein

Jeebus is dead on. $300 for a Pulse is fair. For a $1000 i'd want something really special. I have three Kleins. 2 are pre Trek and one is a trek/ Klein Pulse. I really love my trek/Klein, and ride it more than others. It has ugly welds and cables out in the way. But my $2800 Giant FS does too. BUT, the older Kleins are really much nicer to look at. Smooth welds, internal cables and a few cool colors. They all ride the same. The old Kleins are just way nicer and have
a real bling factor. I love great craftsmanship, and the Pre trek Klein have it. The trek/Kleins don't, but are up to par with all others.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The Chehalis factory continued to put out great product through 2002, even though Trek purchased them in 1995. So pre and post Trek doesn't so much mean anything. What is important is Chehalis Klein vs Madison Klein

The Pulse was Madison Klein...but did use the Klein gradient tubing and geometry so they still ride well. But much like my Bontrager Privateer I owned (Madison Bontrager not Santa Cruz Bontrager)...just don't command the price that the real thing does.

·
Registered
566 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
The Chehalis factory continued to put out great product through 2002, even though Trek purchased them in 1995. So pre and post Trek doesn't so much mean anything. What is important is Chehalis Klein vs Madison Klein
Perhaps quality-wise, but collectability-wise it isn't even a contest. '90-'93ish Attitudes and Adroits can bring in BIG money, especially in Europe. $2g+ for a pristine example isn't out of the question. Hell, I bought a '92 Attitude w/ mid-90's parts for $400 and had an offer of $800 a week later!

'96 and newer Kleins are certainly great riders but they're not terribly sought after...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.