Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between the Klein Palomino and the actual Maverick bike with regards to frame design? I just want to understand why people are saying that the Palomino was cheaped out to meet price points...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
synkronized23 said:
What is the difference between the Klein Palomino and the actual Maverick bike with regards to frame design? I just want to understand why people are saying that the Palomino was cheaped out to meet price points...
I owned a 03 Palamino and did'nt like it. Klein(Trek) took it back as a lemon. The problems were as follows: 1. Front derailer mounting made shifting a nightmare unless the suspension was adjusted rock hard. The derailer is mounted to move with the suspension. When the suspension moves it moves the derailer out of line. The suspension pivot bushings were absolute junk and wore out and needed replacement very quickly. During replacement, I realized what cheap parts they were. The Maverick is probably much better quality all around although I think the f/derailer is still going to be tempermental. There are fixes using a road derailer but they are only better but not right. The heavier the rider the more f/derailer problems. The Klein is a poor imitation.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A bit harsh...

Well the main difference is the monolink. obviously the maverick has a nice machined monolink with bearings and the Klein has bushings. Sure the FD moves with the monolink, but it does that on the Maverick too. There's a special D link you can buy from maverick that'll help with that. But yes. on the whole front shifting is not so goo with this suspension design. I guess the other main diff is that I think the mav has an integrated headset, which I think is a poor choice for a pricey frame. Other than that, i think the Klein might be a bit longer in the TT and steeper in the HT, tho you should check the geometry charts.

I mean the klein ain't bad considering you get the whole bike for what you'd get for the maverick, frame only.

gl,
-don

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
blehargh said:
Well the main difference is the monolink. obviously the maverick has a nice machined monolink with bearings and the Klein has bushings. Sure the FD moves with the monolink, but it does that on the Maverick too. There's a special D link you can buy from maverick that'll help with that. But yes. on the whole front shifting is not so goo with this suspension design. I guess the other main diff is that I think the mav has an integrated headset, which I think is a poor choice for a pricey frame. Other than that, i think the Klein might be a bit longer in the TT and steeper in the HT, tho you should check the geometry charts.

I mean the klein ain't bad considering you get the whole bike for what you'd get for the maverick, frame only.

gl,
-don
If you are really hooked on the Maverick design, you can get the front to shift through some diferent methods: D link or Ultegra road derailer(better choice). The heavier the rider the more problems. With that said, I saw the Klein as a great value also. However the rear bushings are very cheap, poorly designed and poorly assembled. To replace them, you must use a special locktite which is a bandaid to hold the cheap parts together. The locktite is not for the fasteners it is for the bushing assembly(to cure poor machining). I am not anti-bushing. I now own a Turner and love it's bushings. In a nut shell, if you must have this design buy the Maverick. If not, pick something else. A bargan is not a bargan if it falls apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.