Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Illuminati
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
The goldish colour headbadge is pretty tarnished. Any idea of what its made of & what best to polish it back to a better state?

I've also got some paint bubble near the exit of the internal cable guide on the top tube. Anything to worry about?

thanks for any info :)

ta

scant

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Head Badge...On A Klein?!?

Never seen a headbadge...or any marking at all for that matter on a Klein. I've owned 7 over the years.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Shayne said:
Never seen a headbadge...or any marking at all for that matter on a Klein. I've owned 7 over the years.
There are a few different head badges. I seem to remember top guns had their own head badge. They had metal headbadges and my klein has like a plastic rubber melted on one that looks pretty damn coool. As for your questions, the best thing to do is contact Klein, or a local klein dealer. They can help you the best. I will look into it and try to find out whats its made of. I assume Aluminium but could be wrong. I dont know anything about paint though.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Interesting....

Rascals,MC1 Attitudes, MC1 Adroits and MC2 Adroits as well as Quantum Pros never had any badges or logos on the headtube.
I didnt know the older frames...Top Gun, etc had any headtube markings. Pics?

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Some head badge pics:
I am not sure this one is not painted on, but it looks like it sticks out a bit to me.

And here are some metal ones that I am quite sure are there :p

Man... Team Storm, Gator, Horizion, Moonrise... don't you just want them all!?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
I think those bottom 3 were added later

As the blue/green (forget the actual name Sea and Sky? ts not the Horizon fade that's blue and pink) fuselage I had didn't have a badge nor has any other MC1 bike I have ever been in the presence of. The Team Storm was a prototype and an actual team frame. That used to belong to a friend of mine who had the fork and MC1 custom painted to match. The Stock Team Storm paint jobs didnt have and headtube markings.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Shayne said:
As the blue/green (forget the actual name Sea and Sky? ts not the Horizon fade that's blue and pink) fuselage I had didn't have a badge nor has any other MC1 bike I have ever been in the presence of. The Team Storm was a prototype and an actual team frame. That used to belong to a friend of mine who had the fork and MC1 custom painted to match. The Stock Team Storm paint jobs didnt have and headtube markings.
Man, I feel kind of stupid there. I dont know why I wrote horizon when I know its sea and sky. A friend of mine owns an almost identical sea and sky from 94 with an mc2, not mc1. Hes got the same badge and it came with the bike. I thought the team storm was painted on, thats why I said I wasnt sure. Its a nice bike though. Horizion is still cool even though I didnt post a pic. I'd take one any day.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Horizon Fade brings up bad memories

My Horizon Attitude snapped like a twig at the headtube the only time it touched the ground. I still cringe when I see pics of them. I cant believe I didn't break my neck.

Anyway I guess that was a bit off topic.

So I wonder why some Kleins have headbadges and some dont. Dealer installed perhaps?

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Shayne said:
My Horizon Attitude snapped like a twig at the headtube the only time it touched the ground. I still cringe when I see pics of them. I cant believe I didn't break my neck.

Anyway I guess that was a bit off topic.

So I wonder why some Kleins have headbadges and some dont. Dealer installed perhaps?
I guess that makes the most sence. I have never seen them aftermarket. I must also get a pic of my headbadge for you. Here is the only pic I can find. You can kind of see it...

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Hey Shayne, took em just for you (sorry for the hijack scant, I will really look into it though):

It feels like a very soft plastic to me. Almost like rubber, but not quite. I cant change the shape or push it in or anything like that. It came on the bike to the best of my knowledge. I bought it from a guy who never built it. It was custom painted by Klein and there is no painted on badge which goes on all the newer frames, so I assume they put it on at the factory. I have seen a few other Kleins with this same badge. Most kleins though just have a painted on badge (my mantra for example) or none (most old kleins).

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
scant said:
hi all
The goldish colour headbadge is pretty tarnished. Any idea of what its made of & what best to polish it back to a better state?

I've also got some paint bubble near the exit of the internal cable guide on the top tube. Anything to worry about?

thanks for any info :)

ta

scant
Ok, I have got some answers. As for the head badge, try some mothers or fritz aluminium polish. And the bubbling is probably the aluminium corroding. I could be wrong, but I asked a friend of mine and he said that happened to an old attitude of his. Sorry if thats what is really going on there. I would still go to a klein dealer though, because I could hopefully be wrong.

·
Illuminati
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi guys
thanks for all the info. The frame is a klein fervor.(kiinda deep red burgundy in colour) I'm not certain on the year. around 94-95 :confused:
The head badge is a gold disc & not like the previous headbadge pictured. I'll desribe it in better detail when I get home tonight.
There seems to be small amounts of green corrosion, with darkened patches IE, blackened gold.

I heard a rumour long ago that US kleins didnt have the head badge, it was purely for the UK market?

I kinda expected the corrosion ;)

so many questions!

ta

scant

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
scant said:
The head badge is a gold ... There seems to be small amounts of green corrosion, with darkened patches IE, blackened gold.
If it's greenish corrosion and looks kinda gold, the material is likely brass. You should be able to polish it up to a nice high lustre with something called Brasso - not sure if it's available in the UK although if the pubs have brass foot rails like most bars in the US have, you have to have some kind of brass polish.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My Mantra...

TheRedMantra said:
Hey Shayne, took em just for you (sorry for the hijack scant, I will really look into it though):

It feels like a very soft plastic to me. Almost like rubber, but not quite. I cant change the shape or push it in or anything like that. It came on the bike to the best of my knowledge. I bought it from a guy who never built it. It was custom painted by Klein and there is no painted on badge which goes on all the newer frames, so I assume they put it on at the factory. I have seen a few other Kleins with this same badge. Most kleins though just have a painted on badge (my mantra for example) or none (most old kleins).

My Mantra has the same puffy plastic headtube badge. It is a 99 Mantra Race....

Buzz

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Top Gun does not have any type of head badge painted or metal, but my 97 Adroit does have a painted Klein K logo on the head tube. My wifes 91 Rascal does not have a head badge either.

·
Illuminati
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SSmike, thanks for the info. Will dig out the brasso & let you know how it goes!

ta

scant

1 - 16 of 16 Posts