Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm trying to get some info on this bike I'm hoping someone here can help. Hopefully year it was made, what kind of forks are under the paint, and about that funky crankset. The serial number is ATT000574. Thanks for any help or info.

Attachments

·
I picked two too many
766 Posts
Specs

1993 Klein Attitude Small (19), Gator Linear Fade, Rock Shox Mag 21 Forks, Magic Motorcycle Cranks (later purchased by Cannondale and mass produced under the CODA name). Those look to be Pre-Coda. Cranks are worth about the same amount as the frame. Ohhh baby. Probably made in late 92 if that is the right serial number. The serial number is from the Bottom Bracket? Number is a little strange if it is. Looks to be unfaded, if in the sun too much, these fade. If it had Klein rigid forks it would usually be more desireable to a collector, but I think these are just as nice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the good info

The paint is not faded at all. Everything is in awsome condition. XTR 8 speed drivetrain, seatpost and wheelset with Macvic Rims. It is way too small for me I was thinking of giving it to my wife for Mothers Day but am unsure because she would not appreciate it for what it is, she is happy riding a Sears special. I would be willing to trade I need about a 23 to 24 inch top tube. Let me know I am open for a trade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MrOrange said:
1993 Klein Attitude Small (19), Gator Linear Fade, Rock Shox Mag 21 Forks, Magic Motorcycle Cranks (later purchased by Cannondale and mass produced under the CODA name). Those look to be Pre-Coda. Cranks are worth about the same amount as the frame. Ohhh baby. Probably made in late 92 if that is the right serial number. The serial number is from the Bottom Bracket? Number is a little strange if it is. Looks to be unfaded, if in the sun too much, these fade. If it had Klein rigid forks it would usually be more desireable to a collector, but I think these are just as nice.
Yep MrOrange is 100% correct. man those chainsets are a work of art! (but then so are the frames!). Worth a lot to a collector.

·
Registered
374 Posts
paramountz said:
Hi I'm trying to get some info on this bike I'm hoping someone here can help. Hopefully year it was made, what kind of forks are under the paint, and about that funky crankset. The serial number is ATT000574. Thanks for any help or info.
I'm very curious about those particular cranks. Didn't all Magics use that proprietary BB? How does this work with a pressed in bb?

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
The last pong crankset on ebay sold for almost $800. Deralex something or other. That guy has a crank fettish, and I have too much time to look at everything he bids on and wish I could afford it. Mind if I ask what you payed for that Klein?

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
Fork: Looks to be a MAG20 fork. I am really unsure about the actual model, but it is definitely a MAG.

Crankset: Definitely a pre-Coda, Pong crankset. The Coda ones all had black chainrings, I think. My brother received a set of these on his SuperV2000 years back. I have always lusted for them...and his that he does not use, but won't sell. I'll just hafta settle for using my Double Barrel cranks. Unless, that is, you may be interested in selling the crankset...

Real nice looking rig, hope your wife likes/appreciates what she may be getting. If your wife is anything like mine, she will like it only so-so until she finds out the chi chi that is early Klein. That will allow her to appreciate the gem she is being bestowed with.

·
1,476 Posts
MrOrange said:
Bzzzt..... Mr orange is 100% incorrect. just kidding.

What he has there is a True 92. The True 93s downtube is bigger than the toptube.
Notice the pics.... the top tube and downtube are the same size.

And that is no Mag21.....it is a Mag though.

Hey...at least you got the cranks right. he he

I agree...something is wrong with that serial number and yes it is a "small" 14 5/8 center of bb to center of tt. Center of bb to top to seat tube 17. TT is 21 1/2. Klein does like to call it a 19.

I do have the exact same bike that i would trade for that. Gator,same shock,all original xtr. Its a medium 20. The TT is 22 1/4. You would be looking for the large21 if it has to be a 23 tt.

·
I picked two too many
766 Posts
Yup

Yup. I keep forgetting that Klein did this. Kinda bad practice but it saved them money. So it is a 92 with 93 paintjob. 93 uses deboss paint for logos - 92 had water slide decals (reallly a water and chemical solution) I've noticed that the paint tended to "krinkle" and get a rough texture over time on many of the forks . . . :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Techno Gadget

The control panel is to run a cassette imprinter I work in the DVD, CD, Cassettebusiness.
As far as the serial # that is what is stamped on the bottom bracket shell very clearley.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello to TheRedMantra and to all. I am that guy having a severe crank-fetish.
Paramountz, this is a sweet bike! Would you be so kind to tell me the serial-number of the cranks? It is located on the inside end of the crankarms.
Thanks.
TheRedMantra, the crank at ebay was so expensive because a mad swiss collector wanted it, too. He has a bike shop and loads os rare bikes. I wanted it because of the serial number (it is nuber 8. This is a very early one). Paramountz crank is a little bid differnt by design and should have a much higher serial number. It is therefore not as expensive as the one from ebay. Anyway, it paramountz wants to sell it: I am here!
Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Serial #

The serial number is 175-2083 what's the value on these cranks. They are very nice I'll have to be honest I don't know why what's the history? Thanks for any info.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.