Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Klein hardtail has the quirky Klein backward-facing dropouts (the micro ones of relatively recently). Does anyone know if the eno hub will work with these dropouts? My fear is that the eno would not give me enough chain slack to pull the wheel out the back of the frame. Or maybe this is a stupid question b/c I could put the wheel in w/ the chain off the chainrings? SS first-timer here obviously. I've read the awesome FAQ.

If the eno won't work I guess I'm thinking of using the soulcraft tensioner, so if anyone has experience with getting those to work in push mode on a medium Klein hardtail I'd appreciate that too.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Can...

dflickinger said:
My old Klein hardtail has the quirky Klein backward-facing dropouts (the micro ones of relatively recently). Does anyone know if the eno hub will work with these dropouts? My fear is that the eno would not give me enough chain slack to pull the wheel out the back of the frame. Or maybe this is a stupid question b/c I could put the wheel in w/ the chain off the chainrings? SS first-timer here obviously. I've read the awesome FAQ.

If the eno won't work I guess I'm thinking of using the soulcraft tensioner, so if anyone has experience with getting those to work in push mode on a medium Klein hardtail I'd appreciate that too.
Can you take a picture of the dropouts for a better, and clearer view so I can lend you a hand with your decision?

E

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ernesto_from_Wisconsin said:
Can you take a picture of the dropouts for a better, and clearer view so I can lend you a hand with your decision?

E
You bet, thanks Ernesto. Here's a link to a good photo with a strange angle -- tilt your head to the right when you look at it, basically as if the frame is on its nose:

http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/about_klein/construction.html#dropouts

Wheel goes in from behind the bike; basically you have to pull the chain out with the wheel, out and around the derailleur hanger. With a derailleur on, it requires a fair amount of derailleur movement to reel out enough chain to get the wheel out.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I think it will depend on the gear you use. If you can rotate the ENO into the back half of its travel and get proper tension you should be fine. As with any trackend you remove the chain from the FW before you can remove the wheel from the frame.

I would think it would be more difficult to use a tensioner than an ENO with rear facing dropouts.

All this said, try it with your regular hub and no tensioner first. I have seen several Kleins of this era run as SS this way.

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
Also, if you're lucky with your gear combo, the minimal amount of axle travel (with a regular hub) might be enough to properly tension the chain.

shiggy said:
I think it will depend on the gear you use. If you can rotate the ENO into the back half of its travel and get proper tension you should be fine. As with any trackend you remove the chain from the FW before you can remove the wheel from the frame.

I would think it would be more difficult to use a tensioner than an ENO with rear facing dropouts.

All this said, try it with your regular hub and no tensioner first. I have seen several Kleins of this era run as SS this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.