Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it is only my impression, but there seems to be relatively less enthusiasm about older Kleins and Cannodales. I just picked up a 1992 Rascal with XTR m900 gear for $200 net after selling some extra parts that were included. The bike is in sweet shape. While the price was good, it wasn't that much below market. On Ebay, and elsewhere, these bikes regularly sell for peanuts and the only interest seems to be in the Klein rigid forks and one piece stems. What gives?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
bushpig said:
Maybe it is only my impression, but there seems to be relatively less enthusiasm about older Kleins and Cannodales. I just picked up a 1992 Rascal with XTR m900 gear for $200 net after selling some extra parts that were included. The bike is in sweet shape. While the price was good, it wasn't that much below market. On Ebay, and elsewhere, these bikes regularly sell for peanuts and the only interest seems to be in the Klein rigid forks and one piece stems. What gives?
What eBay were you looking at!?

Lots of Cannondales out there...not thing 'special' about them. Old C'Dales have a better chance of being broken or ding'ed somewhere along the way. Those traits really don't make them desirable.

Kleins saving grace is the quality of the work and the paint. Disregard any Trek made Klein from that statement.

I don't like the way either ride.

Just my $.02 on the subject.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
bushpig said:
Definitely look at "completed auctions" for Kleins. I would say that they sell for more than the average older bicycle. The prices for Kleins as of late has skyrocketed. It sounds like you found a good deal on yours though.

Cannondales do not seem to bring a huge amount though, you're right.

G

·
laffeaux said:
Definitely look at "completed auctions" for Kleins. I would say that they sell for more than the average older bicycle. The prices for Kleins as of late has skyrocketed. It sounds like you found a good deal on yours though.

Cannondales do not seem to bring a huge amount though, you're right.
Klein buyers seem to be more picky now. Only the mint Attitudes and Adroits or those with rare paint schemes fetch really alot on ebay. E.g. around $800 for a rare Gator Rascal whereas Rascals usually don't go for more than $300-400 on ebay and can be had for less on e.g. craigslist or garage sales. Or $1000 for a dented MG Adroit in XL ;)

Carsten

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Carsten said:
Klein buyers seem to be more picky now. Only the mint Attitudes and Adroits or those with rare paint schemes fetch really alot on ebay. E.g. around $800 for a rare Gator Rascal whereas Rascals usually don't go for more than $300-400 on ebay and can be had for less on e.g. craigslist or garage sales. Or $1000 for a dented MG Adroit in XL ;)

Carsten
Mmmm... this one was just over $800.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:11&Item=7199263933

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Carsten said:
right, because it is a close to mint Attitude in a rare paint scheme (just like i said)... the $800 referred to the Gator Rascal. I think it only went that high because of the relatively rare paint scheme. The typical Rascal price is around $400 and often less.

Carsten
That one really surprised me.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Carsten said:

Carsten
Hey now!! Its not my fault. :)

But ya, Klein collectors prefer the minty/NOS bikes and the al forked Adroits and Attitudes. Rascals and Pinnacles dont really come close.

PS hows it goin by the way? Long time no talk.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
I could see paying more for red, since red paint is so fast. But this....

:0

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
bushpig said:
Why is there no love for the Rascal? I think it is rather dashing.
ya, theres nothing wrong with the Rascals for sure. The Klein collectors seem to mainly want the aluminum forked bikes. They are super light and unique for whatever thats worth.

I also think there's more demand for the 90s stuff as there were simply more mtbers during those years than in the 80s. So, I think part of it is supply and demand.

·
1,476 Posts
Hey carsten, Its good to see ya. This thread brings me joy.

Does anybody know which year pulse it was that is highly sought after?

I was talking to another klein freak a while back and they were saying that they like it more than the adroits.
Does anybody know exactly which year and model they were referring to?

Anybody got a pic?

G

·
jasonwa2 said:
Hey carsten, Its good to see ya. This thread brings me joy.

Does anybody know which year pulse it was that is highly sought after?

I was talking to another klein freak a while back and they were saying that they like it more than the adroits.
Does anybody know exactly which year and model they were referring to?

Anybody got a pic?
hmm, the only somewhat special Pulses are those with the ZipGrip seat post clamp. These were the first Pulses in late 1993 and early 1994. Most were recalled and destroyed because the clamp did not prevent the post from twisting and they were not easy to use. Some survived and are a bit more rare now. If these frames have a special paint on top of it they certainly are rare or unique, like the one.below But HIGHLy sought after they are not really but yes, it is possible to like them more than an Adroit :)

And the Pulse frames with external cable routing (Comp, Race and Pro) in the 1996 catalog are special as well as they have the Gradient tubing and Micro dropouts from the higher end Pulse. These frames did not make it into production due to cost saving reasons and should be very rare if they still exist.

Carsten

1 - 17 of 17 Posts