Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably the only time I'll ever be able to say that with any veracity. Otherwise, this is just another 5Spot.

I believe this completes the MTBR circle-jerk frame exchange - I sold my Burner to Bollox, MK sold me his Spot. Had it painted Candy Blue and Jet Black at Spectrum Powder Works, and they did a nice job. I've had it out on 2 rides since Sunday, and man, it's ridiculously fast. I've been pretty impressed so far with the Formula K24s as well - they perform well and seem built to last.

I rode my hardtail for the weeks that the frame was at paint, and going from that to the Spot is a huge difference, as you'd imagine. I really enjoyed riding a hardtail, but it's nice to be grinning instead of grunting on the downhills again. The first thing I noticed on the Spot was the slack head angle, which was only exaggerated by riding around on a 71 degree hardtail. My center of gravity is farther back than on the Burner, and its a nice change - it makes the front shock work better IMO. I won't get into the differences, since it's all been covered ad nauseum, but the bottom line is, WOW.

* Frame Size & Color: Blue/Black 05 5 Spot
* Fork: 130 Float R (soon to be a Pike Air)
* Brakes: Formula Oro K24
* Cranks: RF Turbine
* Front Derailleur: XT
* Rear Derailleur: X9
* Pedals: Time Atac XS
* Stem: Thompson
* Handlebar: RF Next Carbon
* Seatpost: Thompson
* Saddle: Terry Fly Ti
* Bottom Bracket: RF Signature
* Cassette: Sram 990 11-34
* Headset: King
* Grips: Lock ons
* Front Tire: Specialized Adrenaline Pro 2.2
* Front Rim: Mavic 717
* Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro II
* Rear Tire: Specialized Enduro Pro 2.1
* Rear Rim: Mavic 717
* Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro II
Weight - 28ish??

A few pics. I was going to take some on the trail, but I don't like stopping when I'm having so much fun. So, you'll have to suffer through some "lean-on whatever" shots:

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Sweet ride, that balck rear will make it the coolest Turner on the planet for the E crew. KIDDING!!!!!!! I agree with the others, more black, more black. I like where you put the logo sticker on the DT.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Renegade said:
Dline, it looks nice! May I inquire as to what your total bill from spectrum was, including stripping, masking, painting, and shipping? Thanks!
200 bucks. The only thing I didn't remove or disassemble was the zerks, and they masked those off nicely. They did a great job on the prep, and theres no sagging on the finish anywhere. The only downside was the wait - 5 weeks. I called Olympic when I was shopping around, and their wait was longer - but it seems like they're cheaper. I dunno. I'd use Spectrum again if given the chance (as long as I have a backup ride).

Yeah, Black Pike 454 on the way. On the first ride, it became immediately apparent that the Float was undermatched by the rear suspension. A 20mm axle will be nice too. I'm weary of my rims on this bike, we'll have to see how they hold up. I'm not a Clyde, so maybe they've got a chance, but I'm going alot faster and hitting bigger things with them than I was before. I'll just keep riding in the mean time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dusty Bottoms said:
Based on your 150mm stem and your 500mm seatpost, I would say you need a bigger frame.

Killer paint tho!
Oh, thanks Dusty, for your input. I could probably ride an XL (I'm 6'1), and I am thinking about going to a shorter stem to get a little more upright. I suppose that some of us just need to transitiion from the XC riders we were to the badass rippers of the all mountain scene like yourself. And maybe it just takes me longer to get there, or maybe I never will. Alas, I can only dream.

I have never thought to myself, "I need a bigger frame".

·
1,316 Posts
D,
I wouldnt worry about Dirty, we all know he is just a clown. Even if you dont change a thing no worries, it just means you are riding in an XC position. Unfortunately you will not have the street cred of the cool AM riders and the admiration of DustyButt. (Hmmm, maybe this is not such a bad thing) Oooh I know, maybe you can just buy a full face helmet and wear it on everyride to compensate. :rolleyes: ::

Oh the humanity!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
DLine said:
I could probably ride an XL (I'm 6'1), and I am thinking about going to a shorter stem to get a little more upright. I have never thought to myself, "I need a bigger frame".
DLine, I'm also 6'1" and, as you know, struggled a bit getting the cockpit sorted on your Burner. I settled on a 100mm 15 degree rise Thomson with a couple of spacers between it and the headset and couldn't be happier. Granted...the Spot is a different animal but I certainly wouldn't have gone with a larger (read longer) frame on the Burner. And for comparisons sake, I'm equally comfortable on Wilks's Large Spot which feels very similar to me.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, thanks guys. DB cracks me up in general. But he may be on to something about the position in which I ride. I may try a shorter stem to see if it suits me better (that's a 130, not a 150) - I have a 100x10 in a box aound here somewhere. With the Burner, I liked the stretched out position, because that's what I was used to with my hardtail. But with the slacker head angle, I can see why a more upright position would benefit on the downhills. I'll experiment and see what happens.

And as I said, a large feels right to me. If I had an XL, I'd be running a 100 to get the same amount of stretch I have now, and wouldn't have as much room to bring the handlbars closer. I'd never go the other way, either - I'm about maxed out in length as it is...

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
I'm 6'2"...

DLine said:
Yeah, thanks guys. DB cracks me up in general. But he may be on to something about the position in which I ride. I may try a shorter stem to see if it suits me better (that's a 130, not a 150) - I have a 100x10 in a box aound here somewhere. With the Burner, I liked the stretched out position, because that's what I was used to with my hardtail. But with the slacker head angle, I can see why a more upright position would benefit on the downhills. I'll experiment and see what happens.

And as I said, a large feels right to me. If I had an XL, I'd be running a 100 to get the same amount of stretch I have now, and wouldn't have as much room to bring the handlbars closer. I'd never go the other way, either - I'm about maxed out in length as it is...
I was right between the two sizes and the XL is a big bike, lots of ST, so I choose to go with a large and a post with a setback clamp. I also run a slightly long-ish stem, 100 or 110mm, and it fits fine. I was really worried about standover with the XL frame and running longer forks than what the Spot was originally designed around. Of course that puts me in the class off those with a lot of psot showing. Although the way the TT sits low on the ST makes it look even longer. There are others as tall as you on the large and perfectly happy, don't sweat it.

Here's the famous couch shot for you to compare...

Attachments

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
D-Line, How are those brakes?

I was looking into a set but heard their weak on power or something... Can you recommend them?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SHAHEEB said:
D-Line, How are those brakes?

I was looking into a set but heard their weak on power or something... Can you recommend them?
So far, so good - only a handful of rides on them, but the power and modulation are both really good. Mind you, I'm coming off of mech discs, and this is my first set of hydraulics, so you'd have to weight my opinion with that.

Formula teamed with Avid to develop the 1st Juicy brakes, and you can see alot of similarities between them. I'd imagine that the power is very similar to the Juicys as well. I like where the "feel adjuster" controls are, nice and tucked away. The lever feel is very solid, and as I said, they seem very well built. So no compaints.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I am 6'2" too and long arms

AK Chris said:
I was right between the two sizes and the XL is a big bike, lots of ST, so I choose to go with a large and a post with a setback clamp. I also run a slightly long-ish stem, 100 or 110mm, and it fits fine. I was really worried about standover with the XL frame and running longer forks than what the Spot was originally designed around. Of course that puts me in the class off those with a lot of psot showing. Although the way the TT sits low on the ST makes it look even longer. There are others as tall as you on the large and perfectly happy, don't sweat it.

Here's the famous couch shot for you to compare...
I can not get comfotable with a 100mm stem on my large spot. My current set up is a 110mm hope stem and a setback thomson seatpost 410mm and it fits like a glove.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.