Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am living in DC and really do not like it. Too flat, too much traffic, too much crime, too expensive. Loosing my job in Nov also has not lead to any love.

It looks like I have an offer in Kingston. What is the cycling, road and mtb, like in that area? Looks too flat for my tastes as I considered central PA too flat.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I'm no RI expert, but Kingston looks to be close to Arcadia. Yes RI seems to be flat, but you will be surprised at the elevation changes in Arcadia. Overall some gut busting climbs out there. Pretty similar to riding in other places in NE - shortish hills with lots of technical bits. Arcadia is pretty big, I would guess 50 miles of rideable single and double track, it really is a beautiful park.

That said, there are not a ton of other riding options close by, Lincoln Woods, Burlingame and Pachaug are a few closer places. If you don't mind driving a bit (1-1.5 hours) you can hit Case and a lot of the other CT and Eastern MA rides. I have no idea on road biking, perhaps someone else who is more local can chime in.

John

·
Registered
876 Posts
Southern New England

I think you will be surprised at the cycling in RI, especially the mountain biking in Arcadia and Big River. There are no climbs that will have your spending forever "earning your turns" but if you like rolling XC/Trail riding with lots of woop-di-doos, those two places will have you grinning. Not that you won't occassionally sweat and grind out some climbs!

As for road riding, I don't know that area as well as southern/eastern CT, so I can't speak to it too well. You're not too far away from SE CT though, and the Pequot cyclists are a really active road club who sometimes stray into western RI. You want climbing on the road though, come visit the CT river valley betwen the shore and Middletown, CT. I doubt you can get more climbing in in a ride without mountains!

I would say if you're an outdoor enthusiast who wants a fun smaller city nearby, (Providence), so you don't completely lose out on the DC nitelife, you won't be unhappy in RI.

David B.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I surf all year in Narragansett, Sail all summer in newport, road bike all over the state (but mostly E./W. Greenwich, and mountain bike (including freeride at a number of places in RI and MA... AND, I live in Providence. I love it. Great diversity here...

·
Registered
103 Posts
loads of riding in southwest rhode island. wednesday night rides in burlingame year round. thursday nights in big river year round. summer rides in arcadia. tons of riders and oodles of miles of trails in arcadia, big river, and burlingame; all three within 20 minutes of Kingston. my wife and i have lived here for over 5 years, i ride a lot and am still discovering new trails in these three riding areas. arcadia has the most elevation change of these three: from around sea level to around 550', but all three have plenty of challenging climbs. plenty of rock outcrops...way more rocks than say, for example, Patapsco, which makes the modest elevation changes more aggressive and challenging. many folks here ride a 3-4" full suspension bikes, others are single-speed and/or 29er fanatics. some are hardtail holdouts. others (like myself) have more fun on a 5" trailbike. fewer folks around here own more aggressive, longer travel bikes.

loads and loads of other excellent riding within 2 hours, some with more elevation (case mountain, vietnam, etc etc etc). other really classic riding spots within 4-5 hours, for example Kingdom Trails.

if you want to live in a nice area in the northeast, rhode island is great. beaches nearby, quaint towns (wakefield, wickford, etc), party towns nearby (newport), city life (providence and boston), rural settings. southwest rhode island is a great area that's close to everything, without the suburban sprawl of big city regions like DC or Boston.

good luck. give a shout if you want to hook up with some riders.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here is my 2 cents.

Born and raised in RI. After finishing URI all I wanted to do is get out. And I diffinitly did. Lived in every sea board state on all 3 coasts plus some oversea stuff.

As it goes, RI is a pretty good place to live compared to other parts of our country but it may not be for everyone.

Providence is very similar to Baltimore but a lot cleaner. The Kingston area has grown in the last years. Basically multiple generations of URI grads not wanting to leave.

Our food is top notch. I would rank up with anything I had in NYC or in Itlay.

Any where you go in RI will not take more then 30 minutes to get there.

Our beaches are sweet (this coming from someone who used to build beaches). The swell is typical east coast.Best swell is in the winter or during the hurricane Season.

Our riding may not have the most elevation but it is very techincal. Arcadia is my favorite and happens to be where I live so I may be a little bias.

The road riding is very nice in some locations. But most RI drivers suck. So be warned. Basically using a turn signal here is a sign of weakness.

As for you looking for love. That may be a tricky one. People here range from hippy to princess. And that is a direct relationship of where they come from in the state.

Good luck.

On a side note if you have a job offer in this economy. I would take it!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Rez said:
As for you looking for love. That may be a tricky one. People here range from hippy to princess. And that is a direct relationship of where they come from in the state.
I apologize if this is presumptuous, but I believe this comment may be in reference to the large concentration of people from NY/NJ/LI who came to Rhode Island to go to URI and never left, or otherwise just transplanted away from "The City" to places like Cranston, E.G., etc. In other words, RI (like any other coastal urban region) is no "Mid West" in terms of friendliness, but it's still a great place to be.

·
Registered
350 Posts
SurfSailRide said:
I apologize if this is presumptuous, but I believe this comment may be in reference to the large concentration of people from NY/NJ/LI who came to Rhode Island to go to URI and never left, or otherwise just transplanted away from "The City" to places like Cranston, E.G., etc. In other words, RI (like any other coastal urban region) is no "Mid West" in terms of friendliness, but it's still a great place to be.
SurfSailRide

In no way was I saying RI is a bad place to live. As i previously stated, I have lived all over (NJ/NY/LI examples Hoboken, West Hampton, Cape May, Altanic City) and then decided to come back. This place is real unique with great deversity.

As for the Jersey transplants that never left. Doesn't bother me in the least bit. Half my friends from college are from NJ of which half of them live here. It actually shows how nice the state really is.The comment was more based on how people who went to URI (from any where) never left South County. The place has never stopped building. Damn I remember when we there was no Rt 4 and route 1 was all rotaries.

Also since you brought up the subject of Cranston & EG. Come on, those two places are like two different worlds. Different but yet both good in there own way.

What exit are you from in Jersey.:) :) :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crude. Thanks for all the advice but the firm, CH2M Hill, decided a local candidate was better. Told me their so needed a person to start ASAP and they budget for relocation expenses was eaten up by the unexpectedly long applicant search. (August until now)

Had a recruiter call me right afterward about a job in Salt Lake City.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.