Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Kidding myself...
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people are planning to participate in Round 2 of Dan's most excellent race series?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wanted to make it to every marathon race this year but it's a lot of driving and by the time I pay for gas and the entry fee, it would cost me over 200 bucks. Definitely skipping it. Can't wait to hear how the course was though. Haven't heard much about MTB trails in the Kingston area.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
Yeah, kinda my feeling too... The fact that you are not racing didn't have much to do with my decision. Just a bit. If I can't see those socks again, I ain't paying $200.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It is a long drive indeed...

But....
We went there 2 weeks ago and been sooo lucky to ride the singletrack with the builder himself...
He is a super nice guy and gave us an absolutely amazing guide through the trails.

If I have to describe the ride in a few words: Never a dull moment..:thumbsup:

As Dave stated on his website not much climbing but your bike handling skills will be tested big time..
If not tight turns with roots than well planned rock gardens or sinking bridges even a skinny can catch you just out of the blue...

I would say it is an amazing course but I'm just a rookie with low post count...

One thing is sure ; you won't regret it if you'll decide to do it...

Ohhh I almost forgot:
Ever improving Dan add a pool to the barbeque as well..

·
Registered
638 Posts
Not overpriced,,,,

thedumbopinion said:
I've done the previous 6 and I don't think any have been over priced. All solid epic rides and I expect nothing less this time so I'm in.

Of course if it was so far and so expensive I'd skip too.
considering I just paid 50 bucks to race for an hour and a half or so today. Truck is a gas guzzler and Kingston is 4 hours away from me. I would be there if I could but things ( bike parts, bike repairs) are just adding up lately.

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
Looked at the race in my local area. $80 bucks? Hmm, rather go ride with friends, drink beer, BBQ, and save the rest for Cross season.

·
Kidding myself...
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
want to ride said:
But....
We went there 2 weeks ago and been sooo lucky to ride the singletrack with the builder himself...
He is a super nice guy and gave us an absolutely amazing guide through the trails.

If I have to describe the ride in a few words: Never a dull moment..:thumbsup:

As Dave stated on his website not much climbing but your bike handling skills will be tested big time..
If not tight turns with roots than well planned rock gardens or sinking bridges even a skinny can catch you just out of the blue...

I would say it is an amazing course but I'm just a rookie with low post count...

One thing is sure ; you won't regret it if you'll decide to do it...

Ohhh I almost forgot:
Ever improving Dan add a pool to the barbeque as well..
I think a fine day will be had by all who are able to come! The trails here are perhaps not as hilly as some but they promise an exceptional ride nonetheless! Free camping all week-end, a short track race on Saturday evening, a BBQ, and a pool are all very nice enticements too!

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
We're totally in. It's gonna be a heck of weekend. Saturday morning, we're off bright and early for the Super D at Sir Sam's and after that back down to Kingston to a hotel. Marathon in the morning. :thumbsup:

When I was a wee lad in co-op, I worked for 8 months outside of Kingston and could never find anything decent to ride so I'm super-curious to see what's out there now.

Rkay, Mrs. Monster and I (and maybe VVagabond) are hooking up for dinner at Chey Piggy (downtown Kingston) Saturday night (8ish). All here are welcome to join us, just post or PM me and I'll take care of getting a table. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm in for this race. I grew up in Kingston and my family still lives there so I'll be killing 2 birds so to speak, race and visit family. I've never ridden any MTB trails in Kingston. Great road riding north of the city around the lakes. Looking forward to Sat night dinner at Chez Piggy with the Monsters and maybe VVagabond.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mrs. Gorilla and I are in. Used to live in K-town, still have a lot of good riding friends there, plus mother-in-law's cottage north of the city makes for a sweet base of operations.

Rode the trails back in the early days when the trail network was about half the size that it is now. The owner puts in a lot of love and effort. Will be a great course.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Woohoo, just looked at the tech guide. The race is like 10 minutes from our hotel! Might be tight for us to make the short-track on Saturday night. Might have to sandbag at the Super D so we can skip the podium! :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
If the universe aligns itself as it should, I'll be in for this one (the universe usually doesn't co-operate). Will register day of....

·
Kidding myself...
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've just registered. I'm fully committed now! :eek:

·
stomp stomp stomp
5 Posts
PlanB said:
Does anyone (Dan?) have an idea of how the course will run? Laps? One big loop?
Also, can anyone provide more details about the short track on Sat night? Course, distance, race it or ride it, etc...

Looking forward to the 'thon on Sunday. If it's 1/2 as good as the last one we'll be in for a treat. I'm also curious about Kinston-area trails...

·
Registered
269 Posts
truemudder said:
Also, can anyone provide more details about the short track on Sat night? Course, distance, race it or ride it, etc...
Looking forward to the 'thon on Sunday. If it's 1/2 as good as the last one we'll be in for a treat. I'm also curious about Kinston-area trails...
Ya, how long is the 'short' track? Is it a race or a fun event? Laps? One big loop? Distance? Approx time to complete? Do you need a OCA license for it? I was thinking of bringing some friends to introduce them to mtbiking w/ CDNtires bike for the short track.

PlanB said:
Does anyone (Dan?) have an idea of how the course will run? Laps? One big loop?
Ya, I want to know too, based on the Technical Guide, it does not say. The distance of full marathon is exactly double half marathon, but the feedzone distance makes it sound like not a double lap.

Dan used to have his Garmin Connect account viewable to public so people can view maps and data of the course prior to his races but it appears he has put restriction on his Garmin account now. It also sounds like he has not ridden the course himself as he mention 'great fun and according to one pre-rider'.

For those mentioning about the cost of this race, I agree. Kingston is a bit of a stretch and gas got hiked up by HST. But not that far, Haliburton is about the same and many ocups are just as far. I am debating if I should commit or not. I can do Ocups for half the entry price.

The directions in the guide is not the best I have seen. Its next to impossible to enter that kind of info on my navigation system. I hope this can be more clear:

View Larger Map

An address ### XXXXX St., name of barn or coordinates will be better.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts