Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order a wheelset from Dave's Wheels. After speaking with Dave I decided to go with the Bontrager Mustang rims. I like the Hope Pro 2 hubs and they are in line with my budget. Am I making a mistake not going with the Kings for the extra $180?

·
Registered
465 Posts
so did i

i read the reviews on MTBR for the King Iso hub as well and now being an owner I can say many of those complaints wouldnt be there if the owners read the owners manual that comes with the hub : )

btw any complaints about the buzzing are just plain ridiculous

Not sure about the hopes but so far (few hundred miles) the king hub rocks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have used the Hope Bulb (Same as Pro 2 but older) on my DH and XC ride and have had no problems. If it wasn't for the availability of the one I need right now I would have put them on my new wheelset.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Kings are great hubs, but I don't think they're for everyone. Don't buy them unless you know why you want them. They're not bullet proof maintenance-wise just because they're expensive. I have several sets because I wanted light, well made, great engaging, fully serviceable hubs (I do my own maintenance and that last part means a lot to me). YMMV.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
How do the various hubs compare for engagement compared to the chris kings? I heard that chris kings have hte fastest engagement (basically always engaged) translating in somewhat of a drag. What about the various other hubs such as:

Hope Pro2
240s
WTB laser disc lite
Shimano XTR M965

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,808 Posts
I've got seven sets of King hubs on my many bikes. I like them because they are well made, modular design (King sells spare parts directly to the consumer...which is a big time savings), and King stands by their products. They have upgraded a couple of my original classics with new axles due to improvements at no cost to me. I think the bearings are far better then say the cheap cartridge bearings in Mavic hubs. Although, they do have some drag and new hubs take a while to break in but if the instruction in the manual are followed all's good. To me King is worth the extra money. Although, I'm open to trying other hubs such as, Industry Nine, Hope, or Hadely

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Cheers! said:
How do the various hubs compare for engagement compared to the chris kings? I heard that chris kings have hte fastest engagement (basically always engaged) translating in somewhat of a drag. What about the various other hubs such as:

Hope Pro2
240s
WTB laser disc lite
Shimano XTR M965
Kings don't have the same mechanism as some others, so it isn't just about the points of engagement, but Kings have 72 and use a unique ring drive system fwiw. There are some recent threads with details on the number of points of engagement of the others. They're not always engaged, though, that would be called a fixte or fixed hub which would allow no coasting at all. The drag some idiots complain about is related to the bearing seals and is microscopic and has minimal effect except in their minds when they count revolutions when spinning the wheel in the stand instead of riding.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cheers! said:

Hope Pro2
240s
WTB laser disc lite
Shimano XTR M965
The DT 240's are a solid alternitave to Kings a little lighter and just as bombproof...both use a very similar torque rachet engagement system.
WTB hubs are basically worthless, poor quality bearings, incredibly unreliable freehub- Avoid! Theses hubs may be light and cheap, they die after a year or less and WTB's customer service is non existant
XTR hubs are essentially a lighter XT hub. They are smooth rolling, easy to maintain, light and durable. Not a chris king or a phil wood, but close.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Go with the kings??? Come on ......you can buy 2 sets of hopes pro II's for the cost of kings. And as far as engagement take a look at your ROLEX and add a marker between each hour. 24 points will get any job done, however I think 48 would be optimal. Any thing more than that is a marketing tool and a compromise in strength IMO.

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
except for the 108 pt hadleys. they are strong as h3ll.
I say if you really want a hubset for engagement go with hadley or King. If you want a smooth rolling good quality hubset with a bit slower engagement the Hopes are great too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you have the money and if you like doing your own maintenance on your bike, get the king. Well maintened, they will last for years, the customer service is very good.

Close second: DT. the design is very similar to king, the freewheel offers easy accessibility for greasing. two minuses: the freewheel mecanism will wear out a lot faster than kings - but yoy can get replacement parts -; the bearings can't be easily regreased without damaging seals.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.