Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
a.k.a Slacker
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the quick engagement of either hub. I've also had the Hadley's and the engagement sound is more similar to the I9's (although the Hadley is only 72pt). I think the sound thing is secondary to performance.

My DT onyx that I had before were whisper quiet, but they nothing in comparison to either hubs that I have now.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I'm just bummed I only have a King hub and not both:cryin:.

I just had my King overhauled and it's back to being a buzzer. Funny how you know it needs to be overhauled on when it gets quiet.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
slocaus said:
Holey crappola, that King spins down fast! Free hub drag is a drag. :confused:
Um, hub drag? Hub drag is an urban legend. It is all but non existant under riding conditions.

How new is that I9. It sounds like mine when it was new. Once it was broken in, it was as loud if not louder than my King. Give it a month of HARD riding.

·
a.k.a Slacker
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've ridden on it for a few months now - maybe I have a defective hub?

...just kidding.

Anyways, it's loud, just not as loud as the King (in my situation anyways). I swear, when I was riding on the Onyx, and then switched to the I9's, I had thought there was something broken before I realized it was the freehub.

And by the way, there was no drag, I actually hit the brakes on the Kings to stop it so I could move on.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
one of my I9 sets is BY FAR the quietest hub I have ever owned....was very surprised and not sure why this particular one is so quiet. Have owned 4 sets of I9s and 3 of the 4 were on the loud side, just not this one...dont really care though

also like the sounds of my King hubs though I have 4 kids and a wife who constantly yells at me so i am used to loud annoying noises

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Ahhh, I love the sound of Kings! That vid is spot on, although mine does happen to spin longer, especially after a regrease. Thanks for the vid, I've always wondered what I9's sounded like.

Love the choice of username by the way, definitely one of the better ones I've seen!

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
OhSchitt said:
Well I got bored over the New Years, and decided to do a side by side of the noise that the hubs make.

The Kings are more "organic" sounding, if that makes sense, while the I9's were "mechanical". I think the I9's are quieter. Both are great hubs though.

My kings are all but silent. They're circa 1998 internals matched to a 2003 body and have been overhauled twice each year, every year.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Treybiker said:
Um, hub drag? Hub drag is an urban legend. It is all but non existant under riding conditions.

How new is that I9. It sounds like mine when it was new. Once it was broken in, it was as loud if not louder than my King. Give it a month of HARD riding.
Freehub drag is a legend? OK, so why do some rear hubs spin down so fast and other roll and roll? I have a Hope Pro 2 that stops very quickly, and others including Ringle, WTB, Shimano that spin and spin. What is the explanation for that phenomenon?

·
a.k.a Slacker
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
slocaus said:
Freehub drag is a legend? OK, so why do some rear hubs spin down so fast and other roll and roll? I have a Hope Pro 2 that stops very quickly, and others including Ringle, WTB, Shimano that spin and spin. What is the explanation for that phenomenon?
Looks like i'm gonna have to do a semi-comparison video of hub spin downs next :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.